One-credit Islam class offered this semester

A new class titled “Islam in the World: Political Perspectives” is offered this semester. The class will focus on helping students understand Islam as being more than a religion and will look at the political, social and economic aspects of it.

Ali Abootalebi, associate professor of political science and Iran native, will teach the course, which is intended to give students a better understanding of the reasons behind the Sept. 11 attacks. The one-credit class will be held from 6 to 8:45 p.m. on Tuesday nights, Feb. 19 to March 19.

The class is open to all students and community members. The course will provide a basic understanding of Middle Eastern policy and U.S. policy toward the Middle East. It will also discuss how the current events of the War on Terror are affecting U.S.-Middle Eastern relations.

Students will be introduced to the underlying issues in Islam. The course allows students and community members to expand their knowledge about Islam without the commitment of a three-credit course.

Abootalebi said he wishes to go beyond the religion of Islam and discuss how it is used and abused by people in pursuit of their own interests. The Sept. 11 attack on America did not change the world, but the reasons for the attacks existed before the attack and still exists today, he said.

Abootalebi hopes that through these five classes students will get the notion that they cannot make generalizations based on limited information, he said.

“Students will not become experts on the topic of the Middle East, but they will have a more sophisticated view of events,” Abootalebi said.

Leonard Gambrell, chair of the political science department, said someone approached him with the idea for the class shortly after the Sept. 11 attacks. He encouraged people to take the course to learn more about Islam. Knowledge will only help during this time of conflict, he said.

To receive registration materials contact Registration Services, or Continuing Education.