Mash suggests University Senate make changes

It was conversation that prompted a second open discussion for the University Senate.

On Tuesday, in its first meeting back from winter break, the Senate entertained a host of gallery members for the continuance of an open discussion that took place at an earlier Senate meeting last semester.

“(At the last meeting) the conversation continued outside of the meeting,” said University Senate Chair Susan Harrison. “This prompted another discussion so more ideas could be heard.”

The topic of the discussion was the direction and priorities of the university and their relationship to the work load.

In the discussion the Senate again broke into an open forum at 4 p.m., leaving them with gallery members an hour to talk about their concerns with the workload of faculty at the university.

Chancellor Donald Mash opened the discussion with some remarks.

He told the Senate that the university needs to embrace change and begin moving forward.

“We need to keep moving and making some changes,” he said. “Don’t lose sight of what we are trying to do and where we are trying to go.”

Then the discussion opened up to the Senate and gallery.

“We’re developing programs with the hope that funding will come,” Senator Tim Leutwiler said.

Harrison said that the discussion will have an eventual implication for students.

“(The discussion) brought about ideas like what a liberal arts education is,” Harrison said.

Before the discussion began, the Senate focused on some new business.

Senators voted on a motion that clarified the nepotism policy giving specific guidelines to hiring family members and significant others.

“Before the university trusted the judgment of the (faculty or staff member),” Harrison said.

This policy helps clarify cases when faculty and staff are expected to step aside and give the responsibility to a superior.

Without much discrepancy, the Senate adopted the motion.

Next, it moved to the topic of reviewing department chairs and library directors, a topic that was discussed widely.

The discrepancy was with the wording of the motion. Many of the senators were not content with the confidentiality of the surveys used to critique department chairs.

With much discussion needed and only a limited amount of time due to the open discussion, the topic was moved back to the faculty personnel committee.

The Senate then moved the additional business to the next meeting, Feb. 13 in the Tamarack Room in Davies Center.