Caffeinated and ready to rave

Torgs creates first-ever rave at The Cabin
Photo by Ella Oestreicher
Torgs up on stage playing music

Eau Claire student, DJ Torgs, more commonly known as “Torgs,” performed for “Torgs in The Cabin.” The show was arranged into two separate nights. Night one was from 6:30-8 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 22, and night two was from 7-9 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 23.

Night one consisted of a mix of indie pop and EDM music, while night two focused on EDM and rave-styled music. Both nights resulted in students making their way to the dance floor.

The artist, Torgs, who had previously opened for Gayle’s performance, said he had been inspired to play rave-style music after going to his first rave two years ago. Torgs said he was able to hone his skills with lots of practice. Torgs also mentioned his background in three-dimensional art assisted in improving the three-dimensional aspects of his performance.

When asked to describe the origin of the name DJ Torgs, Torgs said DJ was not a part of the name. He said he prefers to be called Torgs.

“DJ creates the terminology that I’m mixing, which I am, but it’s like the whole visual and laser aspect that is more than just DJ,” Torgs said.

According to Torgs, he enjoys combining auditorial, visual and luminism elements of art into each performance. These elements were apparent in his latest show. 

Lasers made patterns and movements throughout the air. Videos corresponding with the beat of the music played behind the artist. Recognizable songs had been remixed and intertwined with beats altering their original sound.

While Torgs said he enjoys the process of remixing songs, the music he creates is ultimately for the people.

“This idea that if you get one person there and they really enjoy it, that’s who you made it for,” Torgs said.

According to Torgs, he intends to bridge the gap between students at UW-Eau Claire and this new kind of music they have yet to experience. He does so by mixing songs from Homecoming with more of a rave style.

Students on the dance floor during the show

The audiovisual show had been successfully arranged with the help of University Activities Commission’s adviser, Corey Stockman.

Stockman has been working for UAC since last September. He said he was persuaded to apply for the job from his previous boss he was interning for at UW-Stevens Point.

Originally, Stockman said he was under the impression he was applying for the advisor position for the Student Senate. Nonetheless, Stockman said he adjusted to the role quickly.

Stockman said he oversees multiple committees within UAC: Concerts, Festivals, Film, Late-Night Activities and Public Relations committees and Programming Director Zach Jacobson.

Stockman said he had worked with Torgs throughout the previous summer.

When describing Torgs’s work ethic Stockman said, “He is very passionate about making sure everything is perfect and you can tell the work that he puts into it intentionally.”

According to Stockman, Torgs initially proposed the idea of hosting a rave in The Cabin.

After hearing Torgs’ proposal, Stockman said, “Oh Torger, that has never ever been done in this space, let’s make it happen.”

Stockman said the venue Torgs chose, The Cabin, is a very unique place. The Cabin naturally gathers people for cups of coffee and serves as a study space throughout the day. According to Torgs, The Cabin is a good environment for smaller artists.

Torgs said, “I want to keep shows more small, more intimate.”

The Cabin allots the right amount of space for these intimate shows, Torgs said. The Cabin is also the perfect place for hosting performances outside of musical acts, Stockman said.

When asked about his motivation for working for the UAC, Stockman replied: the students.

“I love y’all so much, y’all make me so happy,” Stockman said.

Currently, the UAC is seeing a noticeable increase in student attendance for UAC events. Stockman explained that last year around 2,000 students attended UAC events, in comparison, the first month of this school year the UAC has seen almost 1,000 students in attendance.

With this increase in attendance, Stockman said UAC hopes to bring back many of the lost events hosted at the Cabin. 

Those lost events include Tunes at Noon, which are live performances on Friday afternoons, and jazz nights hosted from 6-8 p.m. every Wednesday.

Oestreicher can be reached at [email protected].