The Spectator’s Holiday Gift Guide

Parents

When it comes to parents any present you give to them is great. Case in point, the sculpture you made for them in 3rd grade. Now that you’re grown, consider giving them a gift that is grown-up.

If mom likes baking (or pretty things) consider getting her some cute and unique measuring spoons like the “Scoops of Flower” measuring spoons from ModCloth. Even if mom isn’t crazy about baking, she’ll still appreciate how it will liven up her kitchen.

For dad, consider getting him a fancy meat and cheese tray. Gourmet cheeses and meats are getting easier to find in stores. Or, if you feel like saving some money, make dad some homemade summer sausage (recipes can be found online). This present may not last forever, but dad will still love it.

-EJ

Grandparents

Grandma and Grandpa are hoping for some good gifts they can sit down a relax with.

Every year Grandma knits the entire family some winterwear. This year, head out to Michael’s or Joann Fabrics and purchase some good quality, unusual yarn. Grandma won’t mind having some work to do–in fact, she’ll love it!

Instead of getting Grandpa another book on baseball, get him The Medical Book: From Witch Doctors to Robot Surgeons, 250 Milestones in the History of Medicine or any other visual history/science/etc. book. It’ll keep him interested for weeks.

For your grandparents weekly card night, buy them a deck of sturdy plastic cards. They won’t bend or tear, so playing will be super easy.

-EJ

Friends

Friends are really great to shop for, you can go crazy with quirky little presents.

For an artistic friend head over to Etsy and pick up some amazing stickers, small paintings or photographs for reasonable prices. Your friend will love having a one-of-a-kind piece of artwork and that you are supporting artists.

For your friend(s) who love to drink coffee get them a “Laboratory Beaker Mug” from Think Geek. These look like actual beakers, only for your coffee. If your friend is seldom seen without a coffee cup in their hands, you should think of the “Laboratory Beaker Mug” with the chemical compound for caffeine painted on.

You also may need a gift for your roommate. Purchase them something decorative for your apartment, like the “Wash and Learn Soap Dispenser” from ModCloth, for you both to enjoy next semester. This cute little soap dispenser looks like a common cold germ.

-EJ

Significant Others

This holiday season, getting a quick, easy, affordable gift for your significant other couldn’t be easier. Here are a few helpful tips to ease your shopping experience.

1) Pay ATTENTION!
It’s likely your significant other has unintentionally told you what they need or want. If you make sure to listen and see what they have or don’t have, what’s falling apart and what’s not, you’re sure to come up with a stellar gift. A few items that usually fall into this category include wallets, bags, coats, makeup, shoes, kitchen items, etc. Go for what’s in your budget. Make it personal and fun. Add a homemade card if you have time.

2) Goodies never fail
Whether or not your significant other is in college, snacks are always a good idea. Dorm rooms, apartments, and houses are forever in need of late night snacks and munchies. It would be a great idea to put together a gift basket of their favorite snacks, perhaps mixed in with some practical foods as well. Your basket could include cereals, Pop-tarts, popcorn, chips, cookies, crackers, fruit roll-ups, apples, bananas, etc. There are endless, delicious combinations waiting just around the corner.

3) Gift cards…they work!
Some people may be against gift cards, but they can work when done right. My boyfriend loves Scheels, but I never know what to get him. Getting a gift card makes my life easy, and it provides us with a fun day together. We can make a date out of it – visit the mall, grab some lunch, and maybe go to the park or some other location. It’s foolproof. If you’re not comfortable getting your significant other a gift card only, buy some of their favorite candies or a quick snack the two of you can enjoy together.

-AK

Siblings
Sometimes they’re your worst enemies, but most of time, you don’t know what you’d do without them. To find the perfect, college-budget gift for your siblings, follow these tips.

1) Inclusive gifts – one for all!
This doesn’t appeal to everyone, but it’s often a fun and easy idea to get one gift for all of your siblings. If you have several brothers and sisters, this might be the perfect solution. I suggest getting them a movie box of their favorite video series. You could do the same thing with a television show as well. Another great idea is to get them a game you can all play together. This is sure to bring some holiday fun and cheer to the home.

2) Simply cocoa
A great idea for your siblings may also include mugs and cocoa. Pick out mugs for each of your siblings and put a packet of hot cocoa in each. Include a candy cane or a small packet of marshmallows. This can be fun and personal! Get mugs that represent each of your siblings, or find mugs with their name on it. It’ll be easy for them to get a lot of enjoyment out of your gift as they use their mugs for warm drinks throughout the holiday season.

3) Bake it up!
If you like to bake or cook, the holiday season is a great time to let your talents shine and make great gifts at the same time. Try out fun new recipes. Make brownies, molasses cookies, fudge, peanut butter chocolate balls, etc. When you’re done, wrap your goodies in fun ribbons, paper, and more and give a small plate to each of your siblings. If you have time, include a small card or note with a fun memory you have together, a joke, or what you like most about them. Baked goods are sure to win the hearts of siblings everywhere.

-AK