Holiday spirit at home away from home

With the holiday spirit in the air, it takes some work from students and staff to make the UW-Eau Claire campus a home away from home.
As classes are back in full swing after Thanksgiving break, residence halls are preparing for the holidays. Oak Ridge Hall Director Linda Pratt said her residents are getting creative when it comes to Christmas. Each of the wings are having decorating contests that will be judged on creativity as well as sustainability. The Oak Ridge residents are also decorating a holiday tree and hosting a craft night to make ornaments and cards.
With all this decorating going on, there are a few regulations that must be followed. When it comes to decorating dorm rooms, students should be aware of the hazards at risk.
“As long as they keep safety in mind …of course they can’t have open flames and that type of thing but in terms of holiday lights, we just want them to be safe so don’t have them up against the bedding, and then turn them off when you leave,” Pratt said.
Hall Directors are also working hard this year to make every student feel welcomed and to encourage other religions and beliefs.
“We try to not be exclusive to Christmas,” Pratt said. “A lot times RAs will try to find out on their wing if people celebrate other holidays and so if somebody is Jewish and going to celebrate Hanukah we will try to make sure we incorporate that.”
RA of Oak Ridge Hall Kassi Ingram said she thought the university does a good job of making all students feel at home during the holidays.
“I think that they are super inclusive of all different holidays around this season and I know that everyone feels comfortable and like they can practice their own holidays,” Ingram said, “I think its super open and really great how everyone comes together and unites, its really great.”
Ingram’s residents are decorating their floor this year to resemble the candy cane forest from the movie “Elf.” RAs are supplied with paper and other craft material to spice up their halls for the holidays. But for some students, hallway décor isn’t quite enough.
Roommates Cady Roedl and Mandy Prom, freshmen on the ninth floor of towers, have gone above and beyond to spread Christmas cheer this year. The girls have decked their dorm room with lights, bows and ornaments. They even wrapped their door up like a Christmas present. The girls said it took them nearly three and a half hours to decorate, but it was well worth it.
“This is our home away from home and at my home we always decorate after Thanksgiving and since me and my roommate, Mandy, are living here instead of being at home this year, why not make it like home.” Roedl said.
Her roommate agreed.
“I just love Christmas and it makes it kind of homey,” Prom said, “I am used to decorating with my family. My house is all decorated at Christmas and it kind of makes me miss it when I’m not home for Christmas so decorating it like this just gives it a homey feel.”
All of their decadent décor even followed the safety guidelines and regulations.
So as finals approach and stress levels skyrocket, don’t be afraid to spread that holiday cheer. Gather your roommates and friends and spice up those rooms, just be sure to consider safety first.