The great house hunt

Moving off campus, as anyone who has done so will tell you, is an exciting – and arguably integral – part of the college experience. For most students, it’s their first time really living on their own. They’re finally free from the restraining walls of the dorms, closet-sized bedrooms, and Grade-B, ever-mysterious cafeteria food offered in the on-campus world.

Yes, the thought of moving away from such an environment is exciting; but times like these also call for careful judgment – something that’s often overlooked.

The majority of students (unfortunately) end up signing their leases without taking the proper precautions. They fail to ask the right questions about their house or apartment, leaving a high possibility of something to go wrong. Problems inevitably arise, tempers flare, and in some cases, legal guidance is even required.

So is there a way to avoid the headaches caused by shoddy living quarters and sketchy landlords? Yes; all it takes, really, is a little know-how and some common sense.

Chrissy Duszynski, Student Services Commission Director, is well-versed in student housing issues. Part of her job, she said, is dealing with the legal problems students face, the majority of which are property-related.

“Tenant rights have become a big deal,” she told me. “Most of the students coming into legal services are here about landlord issues.”

Fueled by the struggles of countless students, the Student Services Commission began work on a brochure to aid hopeful subleasers during the difficult process. Their overall goal? Provide tips to finding the swankiest, most stress-free housing on the Eau Claire market.

“A lot of students just don’t know what to look for,” Duszynski said. “This guide will hopefully serve as helpful, especially for the little things that students normally overlook.”

Called – quite simply – the “Housing Guide,” the final product is to be composed of student reviews of their current homes. (Think of it like Ratemyprofessor.com, only housing-related). Landlords are not to be named, Duszynski said, but addresses, ahem, are fair game to give out.

Currently, Student Senate is hosting survey sessions for current subleasers, where they ask questions regarding their current property. Answers are recorded and put to use in the guide.

Aside from the survey answers, the guide will also include quick tips for new leasers, such as what to do if a problem develops and how to quickly detect unsafe housing conditions. Above all, it will provide basic advice on landlord/tenant rights and how to ensure security deposits are returned in full.

“It (the Housing Guide) sounds really helpful,” said freshman Ashley Wyss, who plans on moving off campus in the future. “I definitely want to find a place with good atmosphere – somewhere I can feel comfortable.”

Senior Heidi Bartling, who is currently living off campus for the first time this semester, said finding her place was a bit of a struggle and agrees that a guide would have been helpful.

“House-hunting in Eau Claire is a high-stress situation. It feels like things are moving incredibly fast, and the realtors are going to push for you to sign immediately,” she said. “(My advice is to) start looking early, but don’t panic. Think through the situation; this is your house, not what you are having for lunch … don’t expect perfection.”

Duszynski said the guide, which will be available either in print or online, will hopefully be available for students next fall.

Renting Advice From Our Staff

“Freshmen, don’t rush into signing a lease. You and your new, closest friends might be not speaking to each other, not attending this university anymore and not really looking forward to living together when the school year is over.”

Brian Miller
ONLINE EDITOR

“If you’re choosing between a sub-par house that’s close to campus and a really nice house farther from campus, do yourself a favor and go with the nice house. There will always be easier ways to get to campus (bus, bike, etc.), but you can’t get around a shoddy house that sucks to live in.”

Eric Christenson
COPY EDITOR

“Don’t sign the first house you look at. Just don’t do it. As a sophomore, I looked at about seven houses with two different landlords before I signed, eventually choosing a three-bedroom from an entirely different landlord. I loved my first house ­- I would have stayed there if my landlord didn’t offer us an even better three-bedroom. So, be patient. That dream landlord is out there, waiting.”

Breann Schossow
EDITOR IN CHIEF

The biggest thing I have learned in my three years of living off campus is how important it is to find a landlord that doesn’t own a million houses. Each of my first two years off campus I had different landlords that owned a ton of houses, charged way too much money and gave little service in return. This year I finally moved to a house owned by a guy that only owns a few houses and it’s been great. Prices are about the same and he’s actually interested in keeping his customers happy.

Frank F. Pellegrino
MANAGING EDITOR