Playing for Haiti

If you’ve been wondering how to help out the earthquake-ravaged Haiti, then look no further. All you have to do is listen to some music and maybe throw back a couple of Serengeti Chai teas in the process. Yep, that is it. Your dollars will be hard at work for a cause as your ears donate their time to some prime local bands. At least that’s the idea behind the benefit show for Haiti this Friday at Infinitea.

“The earthquake in Haiti is one of the worst disasters in the last hundred years … anything we can do to help is a good thing,” said co-owner of Infinitea Drew Seveland. He also stressed that every penny counts. “I hope people come out to support the cause,” Seveland said.ÿ “It is a fun way to give aid to the people who need it.”

Alyssa Rieper of Feathe, one of the bands playing, explained that, “It’s such a hot topic, the whole Haiti situation, and we just wanted to make the community aware that we are all in this together.” To Feathe, it’s about using all the tools available to start “inspiring” and gathering the community together, Rieper said.

Freshman Bailey Ringold was looking forward to Friday night because of the different aspects of the event.

“Not only does the show benefit local businesses and musicians, but it also encourages people to think beyond their community,” Ringold said.

The brain behind the operation is Jill Sippel, who was inspired by the band Survive the Drive’s “Feed My People” benefit, held in Eau Claire last semester. When the earthquake hit, Sippel was buying a plane ticket to Haiti for a missions trip. “I wasn’t able to go anymore, but I still (wanted) to give and to help,” Sippel said.

The talents of friends and a local business enabled Sippel to put the show together for a great cause. “There are so many things around the community and the world that need our attention,” Sippel said. “It’s no wonder people are jumping to help.”