Blugolds ace dual meet

The UW-Eau Claire women’s tennis team concluded its dual meet season against the College of St. Catherine (Minn.) Saturday inside the Eau Claire YMCA Tennis Center, 229 Moore St.

After a short spring season, resulting in a 0-3 record prior to their game against St. Kate’s, the Blugolds were able to come away defeating St. Kate’s 6-3, finalizing their spring record to 1-3 and their overall dual meet record to 6-7 for the year.

“I feel like we practiced hard and were dedicated this season, although our record does not show it,” sophomore Liz Deprey said. “In the beginning it was a little rough but I’m glad we pulled out a win (Saturday) and played great.”

Deprey’s personal spring record advanced to 4-0 after defeating St. Kate’s Jamie Weber 6-3 and 6-2.

The team won four of six singles matches, including Deprey, senior Katie Kuzma (6-2, 6-3), sophomore Kristie Carlson (6-2, 6-3) and junior Laura Geissler (6-0, 6-2). Carlson and sophomore Sarah Riordan (8-4) and freshman Brit Wagner and sophomore Kristin Neuman (8-1) also contributed to the Blugolds’ record by winning their doubles matches.

The pairs won the team two of three doubles matches.

“(Our game against St. Kate’s) was probably the best our team has played as a whole this spring season,” Geissler said, “and I am proud that we were able to come out with a win in our last dual match.”

The team finishes its season at the Luther Invite, which is a tournament held on April 14 and 15 at Luther College (Iowa).

It’s an individual tournament where players are placed into two different brackets based on where they play in the line-up in both singles and doubles.

“We know that this is the last event of the year so we want to play our hardest,” Geissler said, “but also have a good time.”

After losing only one senior, Kuzma, the team hopes to build stronger friendships and bonds for next season, just as it did this season, Deprey said.

“On and off the court my teammates and I are all friends and that is a huge advantage,” she said. “Having someone you care about watching is always the best, and I have nine people I know and respect that will be there watching every match and cheering.”

In the off-season, the team doesn’t have any organized team practices, but does all it can individually to improve individual games, Geissler said.

“Toward the end of the summer we all try to play in an Eau Claire tournament,” she said. “It helps get us ready to play when we come back in late August.”