UWEC men’s basketball coach resigns

Men’s basketball team to start new season on a new court with a new coach
Coach+Siverling+honoring+fourth-year+Nolan+Blair+for+senior+night+during+both+of+their+last+game+with+UW-Eau+Claire+mens+basketball.+
Photo by Sophie Geske
Coach Siverling honoring fourth-year Nolan Blair for senior night during both of their last game with UW-Eau Claire men’s basketball.

UW-Eau Claire men’s basketball coach Matt Siverling is resigning from his position as head coach, athletics director Jason Verdugo announced on Friday, Feb. 23.

Siverling coached the men’s basketball team for 12 seasons, beginning in 2012 after joining UW-Eau Claire from head coaching at UW-Superior. He had previously been the assistant coach for the Blugolds from 2004-2007 and is a UW-Eau Claire alumni.

Over his career at UW-Eau Claire, the Blugolds made it to the WIAC tournament six times and competed in the NCAA tournament in 2020, reaching the second round.

This season the men’s basketball team had an overall record of 12-13, starting their season Nov. 1 against Minnesota Duluth, losing 86-69.

The UW-Eau Claire men’s basketball team played their last game of the season on Saturday, Feb. 17 against UW-La Crosse. This being their senior night, the team won 83-70 and ended their season on a high.

Besides being their last game with Siverling it was also their last game in Zorn Arena before moving to the Sonnentag Event Center next season. 

Now, according to Verdugo, a national search has begun for a new head coach to lead the men’s basketball team into Sonnentag as some Blugolds graduate and first-year students join UW-Eau Claire.

“I think more than anything I want them [the student body] to be excited about the prospects of a new coach and excited about the possibilities going into it,” Verdugo said.

The assistant coach Cade Stackpool will lead the program as the search for the next head coach continues. Stackpool has been the assistant coach for the men’s basketball team for the past four seasons.

“I think one of the things that I really enjoyed here is that students have a lot of pride in the institution, no matter what it is, whether it’s the arts, band, athletics regardless of what it is,” Verdugo said. “I think they have a lot of pride for their fellow students and we certainly want to have a program they’re proud of.”

To keep up with Blugold Athletics, you can go to their website or follow the sports column here at spectatornews.com.

Fisher can be reached at [email protected].