Office jobs were never designed for comfort

The study space I dream of having someday
Now that I spend long hours writing papers such as this one, I find the library the best place to keep myself on task. The bright fluorescents keeping me awake with the hardwood chair that I now sit in not exactly letting me get comfortable. (Photo via Unsplash under Creative Commons license)

As a young child I would always sit on my dad’s old office chair and read. It was in our house right next to the entrance divided by this faded glass door, while having this soft overhead light and a large window that would let warm sunlight in. 

I always did my best reading there, sounds getting filtered out through the glass door and soaked up by the carpet flooring.

The chair was perfect, too. It allowed me to sit in it in a way that would leave my back achy by the time I got up because I would put my head and feet where my arms should have gone. Anytime I would try to read in a different place I would never be able to get as much done as I could in that space.

Now that I spend long hours writing papers such as this one, I find the library the best place to keep myself on task. The bright fluorescents keeping me awake with the hardwood chair that I now sit in not exactly letting me get comfortable.

This idea of studying in a certain space is not new by any means. Businesses have been implementing this system into their workspaces for many years. Sticking people in cubicles to have them be most efficient in a space where their senses are cut off. 

With the sharp high walls, controlled temperature and suffocating distance to the boss are factors that introduce the utmost efficiency in a business environment.

But you don’t want that. You want a study space that gives you the ability to study, not one that suffocates you into studying.

I personally like to study in a place that makes me feel the slightest bit uncomfortable. I usually find that to be the way that I’m sitting. I never want to work on a couch. I like to go for a chair that makes me sit in it up straight. It keeps me awake and focused on what I am doing. 

That being said, try to surround yourself with something that fuels creativity as well. I personally like to study in the library right next to a window so I can see the Chippewa River when I’m working. This view allows me to look out when I need to while not  distracting me.

I like to have the sun on me while I’m working. I feel during long work days, especially during the winter, I don’t get enough sunlight. 

This leads me to feel bad about the work that I’ve done. Working in an environment that allows the sunlight to beam on me mitigates those feelings of unproductiveness. 

Thinking about what works best for you is a process that takes time. Try different locations and ways of working. Some will be better than others but whatever gives the most natural feeling of productivity is what you should stick to.

Cullen McGinnis can be reached at [email protected]