Nostalgialistic

There are so many memories from going to book fairs
Nostalgialistic
Photo by Marisa Valdez

Who remembers the Scholastic book fairs? I am guessing almost everyone.

I always loved the book fair, it was the best time of the year.

When it was time for the book fair at my school, right when you walked in, it would be the first thing that you would see.

When I was at the book fair, it almost felt like I wasn’t at school. There was so much to look at. Going with friends, we would recommend different things to each other or show off what we got.

Not only did they have books, but they had so much else.

I would always want to go and look every day. I remember I would always get to pick out a book or two.

Some of my favorite things from the book fair were books like Coke or Pepsi, which had pages that were little quizzes for your friends. I am pretty sure I still have those somewhere in my room back at home, hiding away with the memories of elementary school.

Along with that, they always had posters that you could buy for your room. That was the most exciting part for me. I would always find one that I liked with a cheesy saying or some cute animal on it. It would take me a while to pick out the perfect one for my room.

They also had things like the triangle highlighters that had three different colors and the pointer fingers that teachers would use to point at the board.

It was a whole jumble of fun things kids love.

Before the book fair even started, we would be sent home with a little booklist pamphlet. I would look through it and circle the things I wanted like it was Christmas.

That was back in elementary school.

In middle school, it was a little different. I was old enough to go on my own. I would go any time I had free time because I loved being able to wander and figure out what books I wanted.

They also added some twists like having a “guess the number of pages” in a covered book contest and if you got it correct you won the book.

There were also raffles to win different prizes from the book fair which I always entered.

Whenever I bought something at the book fair it made me feel like I was getting a deal. It typically wasn’t a deal, but it was different than going to the store to buy a book, it was brought to you.

Now as a college student, there are no more book fairs.

Instead, I just go to the bookstore. I always peruse the bargain books first and I never leave without looking at the other things they have there.

I really enjoy going with friends, recommending different books to each other, drinking coffee and just talking.

While that is still enjoyable, it isn’t quite the same as the thrill I got as a child when the book fair came around.

Geske can be reached at [email protected].