Physical vs. digital books

The new question: is digital or physical better?
Photo by Submitted
Books are a great escape from reality.

Reading has been around for eons and has evolved over time, more recently into digital versions. This brings up the question: are digital books or physical books better?

Obviously, both have their pros and cons.

I never used to be a big reader. There is so much assigned reading students have to do for classes, and we have to use our brains so much that I would rather just turn on something on TV at the end of the day.

Over this past winter break, I discovered my liking for reading. I had more free time since I didn’t have homework and there wasn’t too much going on.

I discovered booktok, which enticed me to buy a book and read again. From then on, I was hooked. I try to read when I can. There are so many different things to read and discover.

Personally, I like physical books better. We are on technology so much it is nice to be able to disconnect and read off of an actual page instead of a screen.

It’s also nice to be able to annotate by highlighting and writing notes in the margins. It makes it so you are able to personalize the books, too.

Along with that you are able to go to a physical bookstore. It is so relaxing being able to get a coffee and wander around a bookstore. You never know what you are going to discover.

While yes, you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, sometimes seeing a cover will bring you to something you may not have discovered otherwise.

Physical books can have more character too because you are able to buy them used or borrow them from the library. This also makes them cheaper or free.

That’s not to say that digital books don’t have their own perks.

Nowadays, you have access to thousands of books at your fingertips, whether that be a Kindle or your phone it makes reading so much more portable and light.

Technology also has the capability to annotate and save notes for each book.

More recently Kindles have been made with backlights, so you are able to read in the dark without having to have a separate light.

There are even newer add-on items you can buy so you can read and flip the pages of your Kindle hands free.

Kindle Unlimited became available in 2014, allowing subscribers to have access to 600,000 books for just $9.99 per month.

When possible, I like having a physical book. I could spend hours walking around in a bookstore discovering new books. I like the aspect that it is not digital and it allows me to get away from technology.

It feels like I have an endless “to-be-read” list, as I always find something else I want to read.

Neither way is a bad option, it just depends on your preferences.

Either way, books are a little getaway from reality. They bring out your imagination and allow you to enjoy something and relax.

I hope you find your favorite way to read and a great book to get away to.

Geske can be reached at [email protected].