Great Debate: eating breakfast in the morning

FILE+PHOTO

Photo by SUBMITTED

FILE PHOTO

Story by Courtney Kueppers and Meghan Hosely, Editor in Chief and Online Editor

Yes

On any given night at any given time (usually past 9:30 p.m.), you can bet I’ll be thinking about what kind of food I’ll be having when I wake up in the morning before class. And, at least six out of the seven days of the week, I wake up hungry. So it might be safe to say: I love breakfast.

Breakfast is hands down my favorite meal of the day. For me, breakfast is my time where I can slowly wake up and just prepare for the upcoming day. I don’t have to be social, or I can sit with all of my friends; it doesn’t matter for me. It’s my way of easing into the day.

However, there are so many benefits other than satisfying my hunger or taking time to myself in the mornings. It’s often said breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and it’s true. Eating breakfast boosts your metabolism for the day, which  maintains your weight.

But that’s only one example. In an article published by the San Francisco Bay Area News, breakfast has been linked to increased grades and concentration, both of which, in my opinion, are critical for college students. It can be so easy to let my mind wander during lectures and I can only imagine what it would be like on an empty stomach.

The last reason I’m pro-breakfast is because of all the delicious foods associated with that meal. Just think of omelettes, french toast, pancakes, muffins and even yogurt. Those are just the beginning of my favorite meal items.

The best part of all this? Each of these foods can be eaten any time of the day. How could you even turn down breakfast for dinner? This is why breakfast is the ultimate meal.

— Meghan Hosely, Online Editor

No

First things first: I love very few things more than the northwoods omelette at Matthew’s restaurant near my hometown of Lino Lakes, Minn. It’s filled with cheese, veggies and wild rice. It has left me stuffed to the brim a couple more times than I am willing to admit.

In other news about my eating patterns, I love doughnuts, the breakfast potatoes at the RiverView Cafe are one thing I miss the most about living in the dorms and if needed I’m confident I could survive solely on Honey Nut Cheerios.

With that all being said, I am here to tell you that I have not eaten breakfast regularly since 2008, at least.

At that point in time I had much longer hair, often sported Hollister shirts and had a heck of a lot more free time. The following year I started high school and my slump into snoozing began.

I’m well aware of the health benefits involved in waking up early, sitting down, pouring yourself some dino oatmeal and watching the sugary eggs crack — among other breakfast options that may or may not be more nutritious, but are definitely less entertaining — however, I think it is a waste of your time.

As college students I think waking up in time to eat is pointless. I vote in favor of some extra shut eye over a rushed bowl of Wheaties every single time. I think it’s more important to sleep as much as we can and stick some snacks in our backpacks for later. Sleep while you can, breakfast can wait.

The best part is: it usually does. Breakfast foods are scrumptious morning, noon and night. If you need proof of this: the skillet in Davies is easily your best lunch and dinner option.

— Courtney Kueppers, Editor in Chief