Slice of nice: Dec 8, 2011

Taylor’s Slice of Nice is a semester-long column that focuses on good things happening around the globe and takes a look at how we can implement them locally.

What they’re cooking up: 

Actually, this week it’s what we’re cooking up, or rather, what we’ve already cooked up.

I’m sure you’ve all noticed the inches of snow crystallizing the Chippewa Valley as of this past weekend. While snowfall, even in a region as immune to it as Wisconsin, the frozen tundra itself, is polarizing (you love it! You hate it!), it can be agreed upon that it makes the frigid outdoors harder to bear and cramps social lives, especially on Friday and Saturday nights.

The dilemma: you want to get out of the house or get off campus. Maybe, if you’re 21 years old and legally allowed to partake, you want to head to the bars. But it’s freezing, and making the long walk to Water Street
even longer.

Don’t forget about our campus’ wealth of transportation opportunities, all of which are free to students.  Not only do we boast the infamous Drunk Bus (it’s real name is the Right Way Shuttle, and it runs from 8 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays), but new this year, we have the CASE-sponsored Saturday Night Shuttle. The shuttle runs every Saturday night from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m., starting out at Towers Hall and traveling to several hotspots all over Eau Claire, including Action City, Oakwood Mall, Target, downtown and Randall Park.

How it can be homemade: 

Use the resources available to you. As tuition-paying students, it is our money that funds these programs. Get the most bang for your buck while at Eau Claire and take advantage of the opportunities available to you. You’ll have a free ­— and warm — way to get around this winter.

Need some reminders about the programs? Consult the Saturday Night Shuttle schedule or use your smartphone’s QR code reader to access the Right Way Shuttle website, both at right.

Taylor Kuether is a junior print journalism major and Editorial Editor at The Spectator. 

CASE Saturday Night Shuttle
Schedule

Stop 1    Towers 6:00 p.m.

South side of University Drive

Stop 2    Festival Foods 6:07 p.m.

Fire lane near east side
entrance

Micon Cinemas, Savers,

Taverna, Famous Dave’s,

Happy Nails, Noodle Wrap

Stop 3 Action City 6:15 p.m.

Main Entrance

Chaos Waterpark

Stop 4 Oakwood Mall 6:23 p.m.

Food Court Entrance,

Grizzly’s, Hu Hot,

Olive Garden, Culvers,

Verizon Wireless

Stop 5 BAM Bookstore 6:27 p.m.

Main Entrance

Applebee’s, Asia Palace,

Best Buy, Office Depot,

TJ Maxx, USA Nails,

Pier One, Texas Roadhouse,

Fuji Steakhouse,

Erik’s Bike & Board Shop

Stop 6 Wal‐Mart 6:32 p.m.

Between Main Doors

Kohl’s, Factory Card Outlet,

Fazoli’s, Petco,

Stop 7 Target 6:37 p.m.

Between Main Doors

Menards, Goodwill,

Jade Garden, Play It Again Sports

Stop 8 Downtown 6:50 p.m.

NW Corner of Main & Barstow

Stop 9 Randall Park 6:54 p.m.

Corner of 3rd & Broadway

Stop 10 Joel’s Water Street Auto 6:57 p.m.

7th & Water