The continuing rise of Jersey Shore

Here’s my nightmare: I return home for Christmas to find my eleven-year-old cousin, impressionable and weak, dressed in a flashy graphic T-shirt and blinged-out trucker hat. Below her hat, quite obviously, is the cartoonish pouf hairstyle, held together by a new product line released by Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi. In her spray-tanned orange hands she holds a light book, terrifyingly entitled, “How To Be Like Snooki.” As I try to fathom the child-turned-Oompa-Loompa standing in front of me, I catch a glimpse into her overly-mascara’d eyes, and it hits me: this is inevitable. This is the product of a gym-tan-laundry nation. And then I wake up.

OK… admittedly, that example was extreme. But as a fan of phenomenons, it’s hard not to notice the impact Jersey Shore has had on pop culture in such a short amount of time. Since its premiere on MTV last December, the show has sky-rocketed to become the highest-rated reality program among young people. What’s more, the Nielson rating system records state that almost three million viewers tuned in each week during the first season.

And now, halfway through its second season, the show’s popularity continues to grow as the cast parties and fist pumps their way to even higher stardom. Who knew acting stupid could have so many benefits?

The cast members have certainly embraced it: Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino, infamous for his nickname and obsession with his abs, has already begun a collection of branding – he’s made deals for Situation iPhone apps, a cologne named “Confidence,” and an Abercrombie and Fitch shirt that’s called (take a guess) the Fitchuation.

DJ Pauly D, on the other hand, has become a highly-demanded disc jockey at large venues across the country, where his mediocre talent and presence alone receive thunderous praise from crowds of hundreds. A recent article in Rolling Stone said he even plans to “dip into the studios” at a later date to record his own mash-up tracks.

And then, of course, who could forget about Snooki? The self-proclaimed “guidette” has big plans of her own, starting with a book on how to be just like her (I wasn’t lying), a clothing line and eventually a hair-product brand. The Rolling Stone article also says she’s hoping to start her own reality show – called Snookin’ For Love – where, to nobody’s surprise, she sets out on a quest to find her reality TV soul mate.

“At the end of the day, someone will be watching our show,” she says in the article. “…guaranteed, they’re going to try once to be like us, dress like us, to act like us.”

Scary stuff. But can we just expect Jersey Shore, in all of its glory, to fade away like most fads? Or has it reached an entirely new caliber in reality TV stardom?

I guess it all depends. Certain reality stars, like Lauren Conrad from The Hills, have definitely made (and kept) an impact. Using her celebrity status gained from MTV, she’s locked down fashion designs, books and TV spots, and continues to be a well-known public figure.

Most stars, however, like the casts from Survivor, Road Rules or The Real World, have been quickly forgotten the minute the next season airs. So what path will our east coast friends take?

I think the legacy will live on – namely, as a result of a guilty pleasure shared by millions.

As much as I hate to say it, there’s something amusing about watching these jovial idiots indulge in everyday adventures. Snooki’s unfathomable antics are hilarious, and I find myself – against my will – genuinely interested in Vinny and Pauly D’s commentary. If I saw The Situation in public, I’d be sure to shake his hand and then brag about it for the rest of my life.

I’m not saying I want to fashion my hair into a “blow-out” and begin tanning excessively; I just like watching the show. Embarrassing to admit … but true. And the show’s growing ratings and fan base tell me I’m far from alone.

At the end of the day, it’s important to note that everything has an expiration date. Jersey Shore’s will inevitably come, yes; but the continuing success of its stars all depends on how they proceed with their lives in the public eye. As of now, they’re doing well (very well, actually), as we’re surrounded by thousands of teens and adults who embrace their status, phrases and products.

Whatever ends up happening, I’m sure I’ll just continue to cringe … half because of my own embarrassment and hypocrisy, and half from the amount of “Confidence” cologne everyone’s wearing.