Spectator editorial: Getting tough

Our justice system fails all too often to effectively address the heinous crimes of sex offenders in our society. That’s why Wisconsin’s recent actions are justifiable moves toward dealing with the problem.

Gov. Doyle recently signed a bill that grants judges the option of sentencing repeat first-degree sex offenders to life in prison without parole, according to an Associate Press article.

The state Legislature and the governor’s joint efforts to address sex crimes in the state of Wisconsin are admirable and appropriate.

That anyone would ever commit a first-degree sex crime is disturbing enough. Repeat offenders, therefore, certainly deserve to face the possibility of life in prison.

Instituting a harsher legal stance toward first-timers would also be appropriate.

In general, this recent measure seems to be part of a trend that demonstrates the state’s progress toward addressing sex crimes more effectively. Last fall, the state improved its online sex offender registry by posting the ad-dresses of convicted offenders once they have moved back into society.

Plans for expanding the state’s use of Global Positioning System to track offenders’ activities could also be a step in the right direction, though legislators should consider whether such a measure would yield results appropriate for the annual cost of $10,000 for each inmate.

The state should continue to institute harsher penalties to deter sex offenders, as well as develop ways to monitor them. But it should also strive to improve rehabilitation programs to work toward addressing the reasons sex offenders act the way they do.

Overall, Wisconsin seems to be moving in the right direction when it comes to sex crimes and will hopefully serve as an example to other states as it continues to address the problem.