STAFF EDITORIAL: Teachers use students as leverage to make point, money

Teenagers are always wanting freedom and to borrow the car, but when given the opportunity, they whine and complain. The students in New Richmond and River Falls were forced to take their ACT tests away from their hometown. They put up quite a stink about a minor inconvenience.

The students and parents alike, were not looking at the big picture when complaining about their minor problem.

Due to a recent conflict with teacher contracts, teachers in both towns have not worked more than their required hours to prove a point. The conflict required students to drive 40 minutes to a testing site, since the regularly scheduled sight had no supervisors. These students should not be whining. Kids from all over the state have to spend extra time in the car, too.

The teachers are not working overtime because they are still working under a contract that ended in June 2001. Requests for the new contract are a well deserved pay raise, a cost-of-living increase and options for their retirement fund.

This battle leaves the kids caught in the crossfire, something the teachers won’t admit they are doing on purpose. In reality, the students are the leverage. Teachers are not involved in student events, many events must be canceled, or in this case moved.

Students suffer in more ways than one with this on-going conflict. Many teachers double as coaches or group leaders. If they are not working extra hours that means extra-curricular activities cannot go on. This is not fair to the kids.

The teachers should admit they are using the students to get what they want and not lay blame for problems elsewhere.

They would be better off striking for a few days instead of cancelling events and activities for students for a whole semester. But since the damage is done, parents and community members should step up and coach for the time being. Don’t make kids suffer adult consequences.