Style Profile: Deck the halls

During finals week your typical uniform is sweats and Ugg Boots, but once you head home, you’ll need something a little more formal (or fun) for all those parties with family and friends you’ll be attending. These styles will help you get through this holiday season’s parties.

A switch up on the little black dress is a high contrast black and white frock. Choose a classic silhouette; an A-line or a shift works well to keep the graphic look to this dress under control. A great thing about a black and white outfit is you can wear it almost all year, much like a little black dress. Since black and white are versatile, you can pair this outfit with all sorts of colors–from red to camel.

For something a little more fun to wear to the New Year’s Eve party your best friend is throwing try a flapper inspired dress. You can stick to a basic mocha or beige color, or you could try emerald green, which is becoming a popular color. Jazz up your dress with a long earing.

Another dress option is a printed full skirt dress. This is a great shape for anyone, and if you want to enhance your waist you can add a contrasting belt. For accessories, head out a thrift shop or an antique store and purchase some over the top, but gorgeous, costume jewelry.

If dresses aren’t really your thing, dress for your family party in a pair of tuxedo trousers. These look more chic if they hit at or above your ankle. Pair it with a regular white button-up and a collar necklace worn over the shirt.

To keep warm in any dresses that may be sleeveless, you don’t have to forgo the cardigan, but a lace blazer can look really nice.

Guys, you’re going to have to get dressed up to. Instead of wearing the suit and tie you’ve worn every year since you were 18, invest in a black button-up shirt and a black tie. The monochromatic look is becoming really popular, and it looks good on everyone. Velvet suits are also a trend that is gaining in popularity. You don’t have to invest in an entire velvet suit, but a blazer will look classy at a less formal dinner with the family when it’s paired with a pair of jeans and a dress shirt.