Gamerz guide

Everyone has a gamer in the family – for many this may include a sibling or significant other. And what’s not to like about video games? You can shoot aliens, play as your favorite basketball player, or even pick up rare alchemy ingredients from fallen foes.
So, what if you do have that special someone hoping for a great new video game as a gift but you simply don’t know
what to buy?
The answer to this is no easy one. There is a vast array of choices you can make when purchasing a video game. The right choice all depends on your loved one’s preferences, and which genre fits those preferences.

Shooters

These games are for those that typically like more fast-paced, violent action in their games. They also like to spend a lot of time online and talk trash to other people over how good their K/D ratio is post-match.
If you are certain your little brother is this kind of gamer — a good hint is if he sits in the dark in front of a flashing screen and constantly yells, “lag switch!” followed by several expletives — a shooter is an unmatched choice.
Two good choices this year would be either Halo 4 or Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. Both have great campaigns, and both have dedicated online communities. If the gamer likes more customized weapons and favors a run-and-gun style, go with Black Ops 2. If they like more of a shooter that’s all about utilizing armor abilities and choice movements, go with Halo 4.
A good alternative to these two shooters that does not rely heavily upon the multiplayer aspect is Borderlands 2. This game focuses on mission-oriented gameplay, and there are tons of
different guns to experiment with.

Action Adventure

Quality campaign modes are not dead in the gaming community. If your sister loves in-depth stories and intricate gameplay in her video games, then a good action/adventure game will undoubtedly fit her fancy.
Assassin’s Creed 3 is the big action/adventure game of this holiday season. This game takes more thought and strategy rather than a “shoot first, ask questions later” mentality. Players need to sneak around and plan their attacks a lot more.
Another good gift possibility is Dishonored, a truly unique game. But beware: it is very dark and filled with bloody gameplay. Dishonored may not be for everyone, but for those who like gory games (they are honestly the best), then pick this one up.

Sports Games

Sports games are still no easy decision, but there are less layers to pick through when purchasing one for that sports fan gamer.
Choosing may be as easy as knowing your girlfriend/boyfriend’s favorite sport: if they love football, then Madden 2013 would be an obvious choice. If they prefer basketball, then NBA 2K13 is the game they probably desire.
This is not as simple as it seems. For example, there are many people out there that may not follow soccer too closely, yet are die-hard fans of the FIFA series.

Role Playing Games

Role playing games have the most detail and are often the most time-intensive games. Gamers who love to escape the world and play as another character they likely customized in an alternative universe are those that play these RPGs.
A large sub-genre of the RPG is the MMORPG, or the massively multiplayer online role playing game. This would include, you guessed it, World of Warcraft.
Speaking of WoW, the Mists of Pandaria expansion pack recently came out and received a lot of positive feedback after its release. If your gamer has not picked this up yet, it is a must-buy for the holidays.
Guild Wars 2 is also a good choice. Released back in August, and if your lucky sibling does not have it yet, Guild Wars 2 could be a “if you like WoW, try this!” type of buy. The game does not even require a monthly subscription.

So, there you have it.

This should provide you with a start to deciding which game best fits your beloved gamer this holiday season. With such variety it may be hard to tell, but there is the perfect
game out there.