UWEC style profile: Cold weather on a college budget

It’s getting cold outside and by now you’re probably all ready to say “sayonara” to your warm weather clothes and start thinking about clothes to keep you warm and dry on your walk to class. Here’s a few tips on where to shop without going broke.

Sweaters: Old Navy

Have you ever seen so many sweaters in one store? Probably if you’ve gone to Old Navy anytime between September and March. The great thing about Old Navy sweaters is they come in a wide variety of colors and patterns, and are in classic styles that won’t be out of style next year. The average price for both men’s and women’s sweaters is $25.

Boots: TJ Maxx

TJ Maxx. Boots, like coats, are usually crazy expensive, but TJ Maxx has a great selection of designer boots. My personal favorites are the black riding boots with gray wool fabric at the calves.  TJ Maxx has a slew of other boots, including rain boots. Since the selection at TJ Maxx changes often, it’s best to keep checking back.

Coats: JCPenney

No, JCPenney’s isn’t just the giant holiday catalogue that you circled the toys you wanted each year. JCP has a wide range of coats that are reasonably priced (considering that coats usually cost an arm and a leg). If you’re looking for a new ski jacket, or even a fancier wool coat to wear when you go out, check out JCP because they might have what you want for style, but for a fraction of the price of other big name stores.

What to look for in a coat

It’s fall, which means it’s time to start thinking about how to keep warm on your walk to class. Instead of just throwing on your typical North Face jacket or marshmallow coat you’ve had since high school, change up your late-fall wardrobe with new jackets.
Utilitarian style jackets are suitable for a fall walk. Anoraks are nice for the kind of fall weather Wisconsin has, because they’re waterproof. These coats are classic in a tawny color, but can look really cool in brighter colors. Since these coats are becoming popular fast, you can find them at places like Target.
When it comes to Wisconsin weather it can get cold real fast, but we want to stay stylish. Peacoats, a traditional staple, can be layered on top of comfy sweaters when the coat is oversized.
Another trend that hit the runways for fall 2012 is tweed. Since tweed is a closely woven wool, it keeps you especially warm, and stands out in a sea of plain black pea coats.