Review: The American (2010)

I like to consider myself to be patriotic but for the time being, the only thing I can say about “The American” is, “Eh, you could do better.”
For at least a month before the release of “The American,” directed by Anton Corbijn and starring the fantastic Mr. George Clooney, I watched the previews and with the action packed trailers, I couldn’t help but build this film up in my mind to be a Clooney-fied “Bourne” movie. Something I was interested to see and sorely denied.
In the first scene, Clooney’s character, Jack, shows all the promise of a competent assassin by killing some bad guys and his apparent girlfriend on an icy lake in Sweden. Because honestly, what’s a good assassin thriller without a couple of violent Swedes thrown in?
Hesitant from the get go, I assumed I would eventually figure out what is driving this plot. But even once the character gets to Rome and then a small Italian medieval town, and you discover he’s some sort of assassin-slash-gun maker for hire, there are still so many questions and none of them all that exciting.
The scenery and cinematography I will say were phenomenal, but besides snowy Sweden and the lovely Italian countryside, Jack was in a dingy room or a dingy cafe or a dingy brothel … oh that’s right, did I mention the lovable George Clooney took up with an Italian hooker?
While I was constantly confused by the plot I likened to molasses, and wondering what less than thrilling event will happen next, I can say the characters were a tad predictable.
There’s Jack (Clooney) who’s trying to get out of the assassin/gun making business and just has to complete one last job to do it. He befriends a priest, Father Benedetto (Paolo Bonacelli), who, wouldn’t you know, is trying to save Jack’s tarnished soul and Clara (Violante Placido) the local prostitute with the heart of gold who falls for the assassin she think will save her. Where have I seen this before?
I could have overlooked the archetypal characters if there was some incentive like heart pounding action or profound writing but alas this “Bourne” trilogy – “Pretty Woman” combo simply didn’t bring anything new to the table.

I guess I just am a fan of the easygoing, cool, suave, Carey Grant-like cool that is George Clooney; but come on, it’s George Clooney for goodness’ sake! He could have been the Italian prostitute and I’d still love him.

If you still feel some great urge to see it, just have an “Oceans” movie standing by.