In review: Moon

Yes, “Moon” is about a man, alone in space, and the psychological affects that follow. It should sound familiar; the plot has been used over and over again and is one of Hollywood’s go to’s when it comes to science fiction movies. Generally experienced directors will come in to infuse life into the cliché plot, but they pretty much always fail. Case in point: Dany Boyle and “Sunshine.”

But those who view “Moon” will be given the treat of having first-time director Duncan Jones provide them with new and inventive twists in the film’s narrative. First-time directors usually have to put forth their best effort in order to continue their career, so it is clear Jones was at the top of his game both in directing the film and as its co-writer. The son of David Bowie, Jones clearly has a knack for infusing his own sense of style onto the big screen, and the result is something incredibly enjoyable and refreshing.

Sam Rockwell plays Sam Bell, an employee contracted by a company to extract helium-3 from lunar soil in order to help clean up earth’s pollution. He leaves behind his pregnant wife for a three-year contract that requires him to be stationed on a largely automated lunar base, his only socialization being with a robot, the voice of which is supplied by Kevin Spacey. The film takes place in the days leading up to the end of his contract, as his environment begins to change and unexpected situations present themselves.

About a half hour into the film it’s easy to see where Jones could have taken the film into cliché waters. However, he avoids the temptation and manages to take the psychological elements of the film to unpredictable places.

And simultaneously he has something to say. The film is as much a message film about isolation as it is about corporate greed and sacrificing unsuspecting individuals in order to make a profit. Because the film actually means something, it is much easier to digest than something Hollywood pumps out with the hopes that the visuals alone can keep the viewer occupied enough to be entertained.

Rockwell simultaneously should be commended for his work in the film. The role was written for him, so perhaps it was easy for the actor to be convincing. But Rockwell creates such a relatable character that virtually demands the viewers’ sympathy, something critical in making a film with one human character. Additionally, the film’s sense of humor works well because of how he delivers it. And the film’s sense of humor is also critical to its success.

Minus a “Star Trek” or “District 9” type of movie coming out once a year, it is arguable that the sci-fi film genre is at quite a low. Hopefully enough people take notice of “Moon” and can recognize that the genre doesn’t have to die out. It can be infused with life; basically, just talented actors and visionary directors need to be at the helm. “Moon” serves as perfect evidence for this.