Police Blotter

Campus police experience a slow week while students are on spring break


Story by Sami West, Staff Writer


UW-Eau Claire Police responded to a report of people inside a room on the third floor of Putnam Hall at about 8 p.m. Friday.

When the responding officer arrived on the third floor, two males were talking inside the room. A male subject, later identified as the resident of the room, answered the door. The officer also noticed a second male subject inside the room.

The officer explained the hall was closed and no residents were allowed to stay. The resident explained his Blugold card had allowed him entry.

The subjects and the responding officer met with Putnam Hall Director Ben Corbett, where the subjects explained they had been entering periodically since the previous Saturday to get their belongings. They were spending nights in Chancellors Hall, as they knew the building was closed.

The subjects made other arrangements for the rest of spring break, and campus police cleared the scene.


Oak Ridge Hall Director Linda Pratt reported criminal damage to campus police March 20 after noticing an alarm on the north exterior door was removed by force.

UW-Eau Claire police confirmed with Oak Ridge staff the alarm was present as of 10 p.m. Thursday night.

According to the police report, there had been three or four previous situations where alarms outside of Oak Ridge have been removed.

The total repair cost will be $300, and campus police recommended the alarms be mounted higher with a stronger mounting plate.

Broken window, no leads

Campus police responded to a report of a broken window in the second floor landing of the west stairwell in Katherine Thomas Hall at approximately 11:58 a.m. Saturday.

A resident’s assistant was notified of the smashed window at about 11 a.m. He had been home all week, and never heard glass break, according to the report.

The responding officer could not find any evidence of the window being broken by force, finding no blood or objects thrown nearby.

After the resident’s assistant swept the glass, and the window was taped off until it could be repaired, campus police left the scene. It remains unclear how the window was smashed.