Student Senate

Nine senators appointed and intern bill introduced
Student+Senate

The Student Senate meeting began at 6:03 p.m. on Monday.

President Brett Farmer said the executive board went on a retreat to Minocqua, Wisconsin, to promote bonding and prepare for the 67th session.

“It was a nice way to, just as an exec group, have a time that wasn’t just a meeting to sit down and be like ‘what are our priorities,’” Farmer said. “Every commission got to talk about what they want to do and it was just really cool to know that every single person heard every single person and what they want to do with their commission.”

Academic Affairs Commission Director Colin Rafter said the commission is working to revamp the pre-profession programs to make them more substantial for students on campus, create local language immersion programs and implement more mental health resources.

Student Office of Sustainability Commission Senate Director Sydney McGuine said the Foster Gallery will host a poetry workshop with Jessica Q. Stark at 1 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 15. Stark will share poems encouraging students to think about sustainability advocacy.

Bill 67-B-1 was authored by directors Bradford Heap and Ivan San. (Photo by Maddie Kasper)

Communications Commission Director Ivan San introduced Bill 67-B-1: Creation and Amendment of Communications Commission and Student Organizations Commission Intern Positions.

The bill would add an intern to both the SOC and Communications commissions.

“SOC is looking to add an intern in order to help further expand our current outreach on social media,” SOC Director Bradford Heap said. “That’s probably one of the biggest things as well as to have more administrative work behind the scenes.”

San said the Communications Commission already has two interns but they are looking to add a position that will work solely on social media outreach and advertising.

“It’s to bolster all nine of our commissions,” San said. “We felt it would be better if we had a separate person designated just to this position.”

Bill 67-B-1 will be voted on at the next meeting.

The new student senators being sworn in during Monday’s meeting. (Photo by Sam Consiglio)

Prakriti Adhikari, Dylan Baker, Lauren Dimler, Ally Etzler, Taylor Holm, Sarah Loecher, Aleah Vetsch, Elijah Williams and Mallory Williams were sworn in as senators.

Farmer said the vacancy committee held interviews the week before move-in so they could start the semester with every seat filled.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen a vacancy committee that competitive at the start of a year. We’ve always gone into a year with vacancies and multiple internships open,” Vice President Sam Consiglio said.

The senate adjourned at 8:07 p.m. and will reconvene at 6 p.m. on Monday, Sep. 18 in the Dakota Ballroom.

Kasper can be reached at [email protected].