“Swipe right for future relationship”

A Tinder love story

“Swipe right for future relationship”

Photo by SUBMITTED

Story by Sammi Wendling, Staff Writer

“So how did you two meet?” is a common question for couples. Responses vary from meeting at a coffee shop, a bar or at work. But a growing response for couples is Tinder, the popular online dating app.

Tinder is a downloadable app used to create matches between two single individuals. Each person has a profile, filled with pictures of themselves along with a short biography. Tinder can also connect to Facebook accounts.

By swiping left across the screen, the user indicates they are not interested in the person presented based off the profile pictures. Swiping right means the user is interested in that person.

If both people swipe right on each other’s profile, it’s called a “match.” Then, Tinder opens communication.

About 50 million people used Tinder every month in 2014, according to The New York Times. And each day, users collectively swipe right roughly 1 billion times, but they only make 12 million matches.

In the end, that evens out to roughly 1 percent of right swipes result in a match, meaning the rejection rates are astronomically high.

Kelli Duket, junior, didn’t meet her boyfriend in the storybook places – work, a bar or a coffee shop. She defied the odds and met her boyfriend, Will Warmka, on Tinder.

Duket said she didn’t believe in Tinder’s ability to generate meaningful relationships before she met Warmka.

“I definitely was not expecting this to happen through Tinder,” Ducket said, laughing. “My friend made me get it, almost as a joke.”

Duket was studying abroad for a semester when the two started to talk, but she and Warmka connected before leaving the country.

“Somehow we matched, but I didn’t expect to keep talking to him,” Ducket said, “but he really wanted to keep talking, so we did the entire semester I was abroad.”

Ducket believes that meeting on Tinder, as opposed to other more traditional outlets, benefitted their relationship.

“Since I was studying abroad and we hadn’t met in person, we only had verbal communication to go by, and ended up learning a lot about each other,” she said.

Attitudes about online dating have become more positive over the last decade. A 2005 Pew Research Center study reported that 44 percent of people thought that online dating was a good way to meet people. By 2013, the number increased to 59 percent.

While the chances of actually “matching” with someone on Tinder are low, studies have shown couples that have met online have happier, longer marriages. The University of Chicago conducted a study of online couples and found that between 2005 and 2012, only 6 percent divorced or separated.