Student Senate: Oct 13, 2011

Student Senate passed two bills by voice in which no senators opted to debate their passage. The meeting lasted under 40 minutes.

One of the bills that went through was an allocation of $361.80 to get a new microphone in a library presentation room.

Information Technology Commission Director Ben Krall said the space will help people practice speeches for classes and possibly for Forensics. This allocation will get the proper equipment in the room.

“The microphone they were attempting to use did not work at all,” he said, “and this is to get a functioning microphone.”

According to the bill, the money will also pay for four rechargeable batteries and two chargers. If there is leftover money, it will be given back
to senate.

The other bill that passed was to re-assign the fee for the Children’s Center. Prior to this bill, students paid $17 a year for construction of the new center. Now that the project has gone over budget, that money will need to be used differently. No new funds will be needed, Vice President Morgan said.

“What this vote is is not spending money, but rather re-designating the fee,” he said.

As was the case earlier in the semester, the rules were suspended to vote on the same day the bill was introduced. Morgan explained that time was of the essence for this bill.

“Starting in December we will not have a children’s center with which to provide childcare for people on campus who have children that need to be taken care of,” Morgan said.

He said that the re-designation will give more options.

“It can be used to fund an off-site location for the time being,” he said.