Funds allocated to Open.Eau Claire

Student Senate approved an allocation Monday night for $18,000 to Open.Eau Claire, a student-run website that provides educational resources for UW-Eau Claire classes.

Open.Eau Claire released its new website in January and has since seen a 27 percent increase in average daily web page views and a 50 percent increase in average daily course video views, according to the bill.

“You get hits because you are good and if this website hadn’t developed, hadn’t become good, they wouldn’t have got those hits in the first place,” said Student Senator Mark Morgan, who supported the money allocation to Open.Eau Claire.

The website allows students to have a “sneak peek” of a range of classes through videos, online syllabi and PowerPoint presentations.

Student Senator Linda Lee, who has worked for Open.Eau Claire for the past year, said the program is very beneficial for students, and it can provide educational materials and resources that matter.

For Student Senator Melissa Opitz, this allocation will give an opportunity for Open.Eau Claire to grow and develop strategies to reach more students.

“They need to work on visibility,” she said.

The Student Senate meeting Monday night was the last full one of the 54th session, since next week they will be ratifying the elected senators.