Student Senate talks turkey

Student Senate had a busy meeting Monday night, where among resolutions and bills, senators approved money allocations to McIntyre Library and approved the Student Mascot Committee recommendations to call for the mascot’s official design.

Student Technology Fee allocation
Student Senate approved three money allocations to finance the addition of a presentation room, a group study room in the McIntyre Library, as well as two additional group study stations and the purchase of 15 new tripods to the Equipment Checkout Program.

Information Technology Commission Director Matt Sias said that still and video cameras are purchased annually, but not tripods.

“(Equipment Checkout Program) is seeing an increased demand for tripods,” he said.

Currently, the Equipment Checkout Program has 55 still and video cameras that can use tripods, but there are only 13 working tripods, according to the bill. The purchase of the tripods will cost $462.15.

For the two additional group stations, $2,765.42 was allocated; additionally, $6,976.89 was allocated for the presentation room and group study room. The Student Technology Fee is funded by UW-Eau Claire students.

Student Mascot Committee
Student Senate adopted the Student Mascot Committee recommendations, where they will call for submissions of the Bird design from students, faculty, staff and alumni.

Student Body President Dylan Jambrek said in the meeting that since the mascot has been selected, there is now a need to develop the mascot’s image, its costume and its portrayer.

Student Senator Paydon Miller said that the mascot is something that students care about and that the Mascot Committee should be organized and report to the student body about what they are deciding on.

“The (Student Senate) body hasn’t acted on since we passed that mascot,” he said.

Among the recommendations, the Mascot Committee will hire students to portray the mascot, who will receive a stipend. The name of the mascot is yet to be determined.