Senators to take oath

The Student Senate voted 27-1 Monday to pass a bill that clarifies the Student Senate election rules and also creates an oath of office that senators would have to take.
According to the bill, the bylaws pertaining to the Student Senate elections don’t match the current practice and the changes in the bylaws make the election process easier
and clearer.
The bill also adopts an oath of office, where senators, executive board, vice president and president will have to take an oath of office in order to take office. Those elected will be asked to stand up, place their left hand on a text or texts of personal importance and raise their right hand to speak the oath.

Academic Affairs Director Mark Morgan said in the meeting that the oath of office is good for the Student Senate and it’s a symbol of the senators’ commitment to the Student Senate and the student body.

“There is a reason behind (the oath of office),” Morgan said. “It’s called accountability.”

Student Body President Dylan Jambrek said in the meeting that the oath of office would ensure professionalism from senators from day one and responsibility to their duties to the student body.

Senator Patrick Martin said that with the Student Senate dealing with big issues right now, such as the Blugold Commitment, it’s good to show the students their commitment to the student body.

“It’s good that, even if it’s just symbolic, we lay out the principles we are standing for,” Martin said.

Jambrek said that if senators choose not to take the oath, they wouldn’t be able to take office.