Winter Carnival to begin today

It’s that time of year again when the winter blues start to sink in, but never fear; the University Activities Commission has just the remedy. The Winter Carnival, organized by the UAC, begins today.

Senior Emily Fiedler, programming director of the UAC for the Student Senate, thinks this year’s four-day festival will lift anyone’s spirits.

“We want to give them (students) the opportunity to do activities on campus,” she said. “We want to keep everybody entertained in the downtime of winter.”

The weekend will be filled with outdoor activities, movies, live shows, a singer-songwriter slam and plenty of food and refreshments.

To start the weekend, free dog sled rides from 1 to 3 p.m will be offered on the campus mall. Also on the mall is the Hot Beverage Bash. The UAC staff will be passing out free hot chocolate and apple cider to make students’ walks to class a little warmer.

“I’m specifically looking forward to the dog sledding,” junior Bryan Treichel said. “It’s something I’ve always wanted to do.”

There will be a free showing of Repo: The Genetic Opera tonight, and tomorrow there will be a midnight showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Friday starts off with free chili on the veranda of Davies center, and Fiedler said everyone should stop by.

Fiedler said the Singer-Songwriter Slam at 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday will be a great attraction this year.

“There will be an open stage for people to come and sing,” she said. “There’s no sign-up, but come a little early, and then at the end everyone will vote on who was the best performer.”

The winners of both nights will receive a paid local talent spot at The Cabin and a Winter Carnival T-shirt.

Shiver, Shake and Laugh ’til Your Belly Aches is the theme of this year’s Winter Carnival Comedy show. Fiedler said the 9 p.m. show at Higherground houses some great comedic talent in Rob O’Reilly and magician comedian Derek Hughs. Treichel said he remembers going to the comedy show his freshman year with a group of friends.

“It was a lot of fun, I remember,” he said. “It’s a great way to do things with friends and getting away from homework at the same time.”