Campus launches liberal arts major

The College of Arts and Sciences is offering a new comprehensive major that allows students to essentially create a program tailored to their needs, said Margaret Cassidy, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Curriculum in the College of Arts and Sciences.

The liberal studies program allows students to take 51 credits toward three concentrations of study, all of which form one cohesive major, Cassidy said.

“I think it’s exciting,” she said. “I think there’s a lot of opportunity for students to really create some very interesting majors.”

Students could benefit from the program through the wide array of possibilities, said Johannes Strohsch„nk, the chair of the liberal studies steering committee.

“It involves the student in-breadth as well as in-depth,” he said, adding the program is not simply random classes to fill credit requirements. “It’s not cafeteria style. That’s not the idea. It is really the study of a topic in-depth by drawing from whatever courses we have here on campus that can inform.”

Sophomore Liz Felder said she is seriously considering a liberal studies major. Felder said she has multiple interests, such as photography, Spanish and business, and the liberal studies program could encompass those passions.