Grand opening

David Taintor

In the heart of downtown Eau Claire two friends wanted to bring people to where the town started with local artists.

Tangled Up In Hue, 416 South Barstow St., opened its doors Saturday morning. As customers walked in, they could notice artist’s projects, paintings on the wall and observe artists working on specific projects.

Owner and artist Jamie Kyser and business partner Erin Roesler decided to locate the store downtown to help with its revitalization, while at the same time supporting local artists.

“We wanted to provide a space to help local artists,” Kyser said. “This is a studio to do our own thing; we are happy to provide this space for other artists.”

The store focuses on handmade local art, so the gifts they provide are unique.

Jarel Flory, an employee of Truckers Union, 413 Water St., said they are friends with the owners and are very happy with the new opening.

“We are really excited to have another venue in the city,” Flory said. “It’s nice to have another place for this art to be seen.”

Flory said they have lowered their prices and have increased their stock due to the economy.

“We are not looking for popularity,” he said. “It’s not who’s better . we are not monopolizing the market, but we know how to compete properly.”

Kyser said they are not thinking of hiring students as of yet.

“Hopefully in the future,” she said. “Right now it’s just me and Erin. We have friends willing to help out. We have put our lives, energy and money in this project.”

The store offers on-site glass blowing. One may see Kyser’s work, along with that of an artist DJ on the left side of the store protected by tinted glass, which can protect viewers but still give them the sense they are part of the project.

“The cool part is you get to watch it,” Kyser said.

Kyser said they are planning on having painters come in one weekend per month with their easel to paint in the store, allowing people to see the processes of a painting.

The store also offers custom orders of pendants, pens and beads. Jewelry, depending on the difficulty of it, can take five to 10 minutes, while others, such as wire-wrapped rings, and glass works such as goblets or pendants, can take 15 minutes.

They also offer glass tile pendants with pictures on them, so customers can bring their own pictures to have them placed on pendants.

Even though the store’s focus is local and most artists are from Wisconsin, Kyser said they could not let the opportunity pass to have unique art in their store, even when it’s not local, quilted pendants. In this case, the artist dyes their own fabric and quilts it to make unique designs.

On Saturday for the grand opening, local artists were able to interact with the customers, wine was served and people could enjoy what local artists make with their own hands. Kyser said they want to help artists from Wisconsin to sell their stuff, and that in the store they “have something for everyone’s interest.”