GPS busts sex offender

Renee Rosenow

A third-degree sex offender who moved into a neighborhood just blocks from student housing this summer is back in custody after violating rules of his probation.

Walter T. Mallett, 32, formerly of 1414« Menomonie St., was taken into custody just after midnight Saturday, July 26, after his GPS monitor went out of range, said Michael Felton, Department of Corrections field supervisor for Eau Claire and Pepin Counties.

Felton said Mallett had been confined to his duplex except for visits to his parole officer, but his monitor showed that he had been outside his home for 20 minutes. He said Mallett is currently at the Eau Claire County Jail awaiting a revocation hearing, and could face at least six months in prison if a judge revokes his supervision.

“It shows that the equipment that he’s on works,” Felton said. “He was out of range for just a little bit and an automatic warrant was issued.”

Mallett has previously been convicted twice of third-degree sexual assault against 14 and 16-year-old females in both Dunn and Eau Claire Counties; once in 1998 and again in 2003.

In 2006, Mallett was released in Eau Claire after serving a prison sentence stemming from a sexual assault conviction, but was later arrested for violating rules of his probation. He was released in Eau Claire again July 22, but was taken into custody four days later.

Several people living in Mallett’s neighborhood said they were particularly concerned about the number of children in the area. A child daycare center is located two blocks from Mallett’s duplex, and a park is also nearby.

“I thought it was pretty sad that they would put a sex offender next to a park area,” said Bobbi Jo Eliason, a mother whose family lives about two blocks from Mallett’s duplex. “This whole neighborhood around here is filled with kids.”

University students living on Menomonie Street said they too felt uncomfortable by Mallett’s proximity, but were relieved to learn that he was back in custody.

“I’m alone on the weekends and it is a little bit uncomfortable knowing that there is someone that scary around,” said sophomore Amy Wakumoto.

In Mallett’s neighborhood, parents also said they were relieved to find out that Mallett was back in jail.

“I’m just glad that he’s not in this area anymore and now I can feel safe about my kids riding around the block if they want to,” Eliason said. “I just hope that for my kids’ sake they don’t place another one in this area because I’ll end up moving.”

Mallett’s supervision under the Department of Corrections was slotted to end July 24, 2009, according to the press release. Felton said a date for Mallett’s revocation hearing is not yet finalized.