New university on its way

A new university may open its doors in Eau Claire as soon as the summer of 2008.

Globe University, a private career college, has eight locations throughout Minnesota as well as one in both North and South Dakota. Eau Claire is its newest prospective location.

“We have a lot of students coming from western Wisconsin to our campus in Woodbury (Minn.), driving 45 minutes one way,” said Nate Herrmann, Eau Claire’s Globe University campus director. “We recognized the need.”

Aimee Johnson, a native of Eau Claire, moved to Woodbury to attend the Globe University there. She said she recently learned of the possibility of a Globe University in Eau Claire.

“I’d like to go and live back in Eau Claire,” Johnson said. “It would save me money. I could live with my parents not have to worry about paying bills for apartments and stuff, so it would be nice.”

The school will be located on the northwest corner of Interstate Highway 94 and Highway 53.

Before construction can start, the university must obtain approval from the Wisconsin Educational Approval Board, Herrmann said. He added that the school has yet to submit any paperwork. The Board has a number of standards schools are required to meet in the areas of advertising guidelines, financial feasibility, program curriculum and admissions process.

In addition, the university needed approval from the city of Eau Claire, which it has received.

Tom Reiter, Eau Claire city planner, said Globe University approached the city in August. The city reviewed university’s plan and had to decide whether there would be adequate parking for students and staff, among other things.

“It’s a positive thing,” Reiter said. “It will bring employment and more people to the city, that’s for sure.”

After Jan. 1, Herrmann said he will travel to Eau Claire to begin hiring.

“We’ll be creating some new jobs for the Eau Claire community,” he said, adding Globe University will be looking for full-time administrative staff and faculty members. “We’ll need everybody.”

Construction of the 30,000 square-foot building is projected to begin in December, Herrmann said. He hopes to start classes as soon as July of 2008.

Globe University’s year-round academic calendar runs on a quarter system, with new classes beginning in July, October, January and April.

The school offers several programs of study within the areas of business, creative production, health sciences, information technology and legal science.

“We’re geared to get students in and out of their programs as fast as possible,” Herrmann said.

According to Globe University’s transfer of credit policy, a minimum of 25 percent of a student’s total program credits must be completed at the university in all programs in order to transfer successfully. All transferable credits must have earned a grade of C- or better. Herrmann said he thinks this will be a good move for Globe University.

“We’re just pretty excited to be in that market where we know a lot of students are interested.”

For more information, check out the Globe University system Web site.