Tangled up in Blue, Gold

Adrian Northrup

The shouting of about 300 people echoed through Zorn Arena as members of UW-Eau Claire’s Women’s Concert Chorale walked out onto the floor.

Dressed in pink and black, the group performed a musical medley with such altered lyrics as “don’t go chasing River Falls” and even issuing a challenge to event rivals, the Singing Statesmen.

Both ensembles were among many other routines at this year’s Yell Like Hell and pep rally Wednesday night.

Sophomore Adam Jaco participated in the Putnam Hall cheer and said he was optimistic in his group’s performance.

“I think we did pretty well,” Jaco said, adding that he also enjoyed watching the Singing Statesmen perform their routine.

“They had good choreography – obviously they put a lot of work in it; they’ve got a lot of school spirit.”

Yell Like Hell was just one of the many events that students and staff participated in Wednesday as part of Eau Claire’s Homecoming week.

After a series of events on Upper Campus, which included a three-legged sack race, tug-of-war, water balloon toss and a toilet paper roll, costumed participants then processed down the Garfield Avenue hill as part of the annual snake dance.

A pep rally featured the talents of the Blugold Marching Band and the UWEC dance team.

Freshmen Carrie Osborne and Keri Powers attended the event as a way of getting more out of their college experience, they said.

“We came because we thought it’d be cool to go to our first Homecoming event in college,” Osborne said.

Powers agreed, saying that the event provided her with “something to do to get out of the dorm.”

Both Osborne and Powers said the event was one of several they had planned for the week, including Saturday’s football game and dance.

After the event, members of the university’s Homecoming committee announced the winners of the week’s activities as well as the results of the Homecoming royalty voting.