Networking emphasized in presentation

John Koenig

When job-hunting time comes around, thoughts of r‚sum‚s, contacting references and facing interviews come to mind.

However, one important aspect that is critical to the job-searching process is networking, said Dr. Jose Ortiz, an orthopedic doctor and hand surgeon at Luther Midelfort Hospital, 1221 Whipple St.
Ortiz was the speaker of the Spanish Business Club’s series of monthly presentations.

Originally from Connecticut, Ortiz previously worked in hospitals from Yale University in New Haven Conn., to Shriner’s Hospital in Tampa, Fla.

In his presentation titled “La Vida . Cada momento se mueve,” (“The life . each moment you move”), Ortiz stressed the importance of how to network one’s self to move up the career ladder.

Ortiz said part of getting the right job is developing good r‚sum‚s and references.
As with any profession, Ortiz said he uses networking extensively.

“I network everyday,” he said. “It’s a way to advance in my area.”

During the Spanish-featured presentation, Ortiz also talked about how knowing the language helps with networking.

“There is an increase in Spanish-speaking people and knowing it and the culture – especially in business – is critical,” he said.

He also said that friends of his in business succeed because of their knowledge with the Spanish language and culture.

However, Ortiz added that the challenge with networking is finding the right niche.

“You have to find the right target and environment if you want a good position,” he said.

Junior and president of the Spanish business club Andrew Reigel said the talk was very well-rounded.

“(Ortiz) stressed very well the importance of working hard, getting good references and touched upon a lot of different subjects,” he said.

Along with networking successfully in Spanish, nursing students have the opportunity to minor with a specialized emphasis in Spanish, now offered in collaboration with the foreign languages department.

Assistant professor of Spanish Juan Carlos Chaves, who created the major course work for the minor, said there is a big demand for health care professionals who are proficient in both Spanish and English.

“There are 40 million Hispanics in the United States now,” he said, “and they need medical attention.”

Chaves went on to say that sometimes when Hispanic families come into hospitals, they are reluctant to try to explain their problems.

But he said when doctors and nurses communicate, these problems can be lessened.

“When a doctor knows Spanish, the patients are more open to talk, and a better diagnosis (will be found) for the problem,” Ortiz said.