The official student newspaper of University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire since 1923.

The Spectator

The official student newspaper of University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire since 1923.

The Spectator

The official student newspaper of University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire since 1923.

The Spectator

Alleged victim pleads guilty

Molly Tumanic

The former UW-Eau Claire student who claimed she was attacked behind Governors Hall Nov. 5 pled guilty to a criminal charge Thursday morning in a hearing at the Eau Claire County Courthouse.

Emily Faye Piette, 19, who appeared without a lawyer, told Judge Eric Wahl she had agreed to a plea bargain with District Attorney Richard White. The agreement requires Piette to serve 80 hours of community service and return to court on Jan. 27, 2005.

Piette was charged with one count of resisting or obstructing an officer, a Class A misdemeanor, which can carry a penalty of nine months in jail, a $10,000 fine, or both.

As the courtroom packed with about 40 people, Piette waited nearly 30 minutes until she was called to stand before the judge.

Story continues below advertisement

Piette fidgeted while sitting in the courtroom, but remained composed while the judge questioned her about the agreement. Piette said she discussed the agreement with her parents and agreed it was her best option.

Piette declined to comment Sunday afternoon.

According to court documents, the incident began when Piette, alone behind Governors Hall, dropped a small paring knife on the night of Nov. 5.

According to the court records, Piette said the attacker, a college-aged man approximately six feet tall, was lying on the ground and called to her for help. When she approached to offer assistance, he held the knife to her stomach, and told her, “Life isn’t fair and you will have to die, too.”

Piette said she then gouged the man’s eyes, causing him to drop the knife and flee the scene.

After dropping the knife, Piette called her friends, who in turn called the police, a move Piette did not anticipate.

When the police arrived, she said “everything got out of control,” and she filed the false police report, according to a court document.

The police transported Piette to Luther Hospital to ensure she was not injured.

Fifteen days later, while being interviewed by a University Police officer, Piette admitted she had fabricated the entire event.

Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

The Spectator intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. The Spectator does not allow anonymous comments and requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.
All The Spectator Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Activate Search
Alleged victim pleads guilty