Viennese Ball-goers offered dance lessons

It’s time to lace up those dancing shoes and get ready for the 28th annual Viennese Ball, with a little help of course.

Dance lessons will be held for three weeks prior to the Viennese Ball, scheduled for April 12 and 13, in order to brush up on some old dance skills and maybe learn a few new ones.

Lessons will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning March 14 and ending April 9.

Each session will be broken into two levels. A beginner skill level, running from 6 to 7:30 p.m., and an intermediate skill level, running from 7:30 to 9 p.m., has room for 50 people in each skill level.

The former chair of the department of physical education, Ida Hinz, and regional dance instructors, Dave and Karen Goggin, will conduct the six-session workshop, hosted by the Activities and Program office.

Dave Goggin said that in previous years the classes have filled up quickly, and this year shouldn’t be an exception.

Dave and wife Karen own their own dance studio, Goggin Ballroom Dancing, located inside Eau Claire Regional Arts Council, 316 Eau Claire St.

The studio has been centered in downtown Eau Claire since 1994 and the couple has been teaching the Viennese Ball dance workshop for over five years.

The lessons focus on slow, fast and medium speed variations of the waltz, fox trot, swing and polka, giving participants a chance to try something new or just brush up on some steps.

“It would just be fun to learn to really dance,” junior Nicole Kittle said.

Sophomore Jane Schutt said she is excited about the lessons and is interested in learning how to do the fox trot.

The workshop registration is $15 for UW system students and Chippewa Valley Technical College students and $30 for others.

Registration can be purchased at the University Service Center. All participants must have a valid ticket to the Viennese Ball.

Classes will meet in the Tamarack Room of Davies Center and participants may register alone or with a partner.

Whether you already know how to dance or are just starting out, these lessons can provide you with an excuse to get out and have some fun.