Funeral for Stephen Rosolack on Friday

Stephen J. Rosolack, who taught in the music department for 16 years, died Sept. 24 of a heart attack in Eau Claire. He was 60.

Funeral services are scheduled for 1 p.m. Friday at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, 318 Fulton Ave. The Rev. Janusz Kowalski will officiate.

The burial will take place at St. Patrick’s Catholic Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the Lenmark-Gomsrud-Linn Funeral Home, 814 First Ave. A public prayer service will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.

A 1965 and 1969 graduate of UW-Eau Claire, Rosolack joined the university’s music faculty in 1985. He retired in May as an associate professor emeritus of music.

While teaching at UW-Eau Claire, Rosolack lectured in music literature, music history, and beginning and advanced conducting. He also directed the Women’s Concert Chorale and the Symphonic Choir.

A native of Eau Claire, Rosolack earned bachelor’s degrees in medical technology and music from UW-Eau Claire. From 1968-1970, he taught music at Holy Cross Seminary in La Crosse. He then earned his master’s degree in music from UW-Madison in 1971. He worked at St. Mary’s Medical Center in Madison from 1971-72. He pursued his doctoral studies at the University of Illinois-Urbana from 1972-74. From 1974-79, Rosolack worked for the Diocese of Peoria. He taught at the University of Santa Clara in California from 1980-83, and at Murray State University in Murray, Kent., from 1983-85, before joining UW-Eau Claire’s faculty in 1985.

Rosolack is survived by his wife, Mary; his son, Paul; his father, August; his mother-in-law, Mabel Nichols; two brothers, Daniel (Ellie) and Gregory (Kathy); his sister, Pamela Bodwin; his many nieces, nephews, aunts and uncles; and his dog, Bruno. He was preceded in death by his mother, Ruby; and his father-in-law, Nicholas Nichols.

More about Rosolack’s contributions to the university will be published in Monday’s issue of The Spectator.