Abraxas Wax hosts jazz and vintage pop-up

Summit Blue pop up at new vintage store Abraxas Wax
Photo by Taylor Boggess
A look inside Abraxas Wax with part of its vinyl collection in downtown Eau Claire.

Editor’s note: Cory Guerin uses he/they pronouns, but he/him pronouns will be featured for clarification purposes.

On Dec. 1, Abraxas Wax hosted Summit Blue in a pop-up to celebrate the store’s recent opening. 

Store owner Seth Larson said that he is excited to bring a new selection of music to people in the Eau Claire area.

“The communal aspect is really enticing to me. I wanted to get more involved in music,” Larson said. “I wanted to bring international and obscure music into people’s lives.”

Abraxas Wax opened on Oct. 28, 2023, in downtown Eau Claire. The store has a variety of items for sale including but not limited to vinyls, cassette tapes, VHS tapes, books and vintage clothing.

In the recent pop-up event, Larson had several vendors selling their own goods, who he said were a number of his friends. 

“Honestly most of these people are friends. I really just bribed them with pizza and beer,” Larson said. “But a lot of them are artists, so it’s nice to have everything on display.”

Jesse Blake Hay, an artist who was at the event, said that he was excited to be there to support Larson while showcasing his own art.

“Seth is a good buddy of mine; I’m just really proud of him for being persistent,” Hay said. “I know it was quite an adventure to get this place open. And also for people like me who have art here, to have another place to showcase that is really cool.”

TagFlip was also in attendance selling various items at this specific pop-up. Cory Guerin said he was excited about all the new customers he was meeting at this event.

Larson said that his favorite part of the store so far is meeting new people who share the same interests as him.

“I really like talking to people about music — I can talk for hours,” Larson said. “It’s perfect that I can do that for a living now.”

Guerin said he enjoys all the events that Larson puts together with him.

“I really like the events that me and Seth that we talked about,” Guerin said. “We just love doing stuff in the community. Doing events like this and having the music is amazing.”

Hay said people shouldn’t be hesitant to come to visit Abraxas Wax and that Larson is here for the community.

“Seth is an awesome dude, so if you can, come down here and support him,” Hay said. “He aims to please. He’s here for the community.”

Guerin said Abraxas and Tagflip are perfect for those who like vintage or vinyl, and shouldn’t hesitate to try either store.

“We are both out here, we’re both new businesses, so come check us out if you’re interested in anything like vintage or vinyl records,” Guerin said.

Larson said he wants everyone to know that the space was open to everyone and that he hopes he can help individuals find new music.

“I want them to know that the space is for everyone,” Larson said. “I hope we can share these jazz, electronic and funk records in here. I want them to find new music.”

Boggess can be reached at [email protected].