Tastemakers

What The Spectator thinks is cool
Tastemakers
Photo by Oludare Obadiya

Editors note: Tastemakers is a new column we’re trying out here at The Spectator where we give you, the readers, a glimpse into what we at The Spectator are interested in (fashion, music, pop culture, etc.) It also takes heavy inspiration from Perfectly Imperfect, a paid Substack with content in a similar format. 

For the inaugural Tastemakers, we have the editor-in-chief of The Spectator, Oludare Obadiya. He’s a fourth-year journalism student at UW-Eau Claire, originally from a suburb of St. Paul, Minnesota, and can often be found in the Spec office doing anything but homework. Let’s hear some of his thoughts on the world as he sees it. 

Vintage Harley T’s: I don’t know who was running the merchandising at Harley Davidson for the past 50 years or so, but they’ve been putting in work on those t-shirts. I was a bit late to the wave, but at some point in the last year or so, I started adding them to my wardrobe like everyone else. Most of them came from vintage stores either in Eau Claire, Wisconsin or back in the Twin Cities where I’m from. Either way, it seems like a piece of clothing that would make more sense on gruff and tough 50-year-olds with gnarly tattoos and sick choppers and I think we’re all getting a kick out of the juxtaposition of a bunch of fashion-forward Gen Zers rocking the brand religiously.

Asics/Dad sneakers in general: One thing about me: I love a good sneaker. There was a time in my youth (literally high school, so like 4 years ago) when I would bat my eyes at and fiend for anything Jordan Brand had to offer. I would have $400 retros saved in my want section on GOAT knowing full well I would never own them. But at some point early on in college, the dad shoe archetype found its way into the folds of my brain and my style — and pocketbook — have thanked me ever since. Right now Asics is definitely giving the sneaker world a run for its money. Anything in the Keyano series is good but a tad expensive. The Gel Nimbus 9’s are definitely a cheaper alternative. I got a pair and never looked back. 

Boldy James, “The Versace Tape”: Detroit rapper Boldy James has recently bubbled out of the underground but has been in and out of the rap game for well over a decade, I just wrote an article on him which you can read here. I watched a video essay on him a couple of months ago and finally got around to listening to some of his music. “The Versace Tape” came out back in 2020 and it’s been on repeat for me the last week or two. I’m fully aware of the pitfalls of comparing rappers to other rappers but I’m about to do it. His delivery isn’t unlike that of Earl Sweatshirt, his low voice perhaps coming off monotone but also grim and spooky in an intriguing way. He also raps about his past as a drug dealer with a Freddie Gibs-like precision and I can’t wait to delve deeper into his discography. 

Matty Matheson: I have had an obsession with chef and restaurateur Matty Matheson since high school. I actually have made a recipe or two of his, but it goes way deeper than that. His personality is almost impossible to hate (at least through my phone screen). He has the tendency to SPEAK IN ALL CAPS, which has become a running joke among him and his acolytes. He’s also a producer and actor on The Bear and my super fandom of him was soon transferred to the show when I found out he had a part in its creation. Not to mention the man is quietly one of the more stylish people on the internet. All kinds of tattered vintage tees and deadstock clothing from streetwear brands you and I could only dream of owning pieces from. Oh yeah, and he also has his own clothing brand!

The Gambler,” 1974 (Not the Mark Wahlberg version): I really like this movie. I think I first watched it when it came on one of those local channels when I was a kid. Definitely didn’t understand the literature references or the overall struggle of an English professor who’s a suave, intelligent lady’s man as well as a gambling addict, but something about the film stuck in the back of my brain for the better half of ten years. I managed to stumble back upon it a couple of weeks ago and I think it still holds up. The seventies style, the lessons of an imperfect lead character and that icky feeling you get when the protagonist makes the wrong decision for the 80th time. Can’t get enough!

California Tacos on the corner of 6th and Water: Just the tastiest, most delicious morsels of Mexican food a college kid could ask for. I’ve already done a fair share of ranting and raving about them in the past, but they have remained a staple in my diet since so it bears repeating. If you ever find yourself feeling for a taste of something south of the border go ahead and support your truly favorite local business, I recommend Birria as well — it’s fire. 

Obadiya can be reached at [email protected].