EC Eats

Campus Food
EC+Eats

We are about halfway through the semester. Most people have become accustomed to their schedules and the food.

I remember coming in as a freshman and being curious about all the food and meal plans. It turned out to be decent. Over the last three years, I have become pretty used to it.

Einstein’s Bagels:

Einstein’s is my favorite place on campus.

Personally, I think they have the best food. While yes, it is “just a bagel,” there are so many options you can do with it.

Want a sandwich? No problem. Egg and cheese or turkey and cheddar? Feeling sweet? Get a chocolate chip bagel with honey almond shmear. Feeling savory? Asiago bagel with onion and chive shmear.

There is always an option no matter the mood.

If you get it as a block meal, you also get chips or a banana and a drink.

You can also get specialty sandwiches or a specialty coffee for an additional cost.

Aside from the variety of options, the environment is great. The workers are nice and there is seating next to big windows. If you like being at coffee shops, this is a great on-campus alternative.

The only downfall I see is the length of the line at times.

Davies Marketplace:

Davies is the other main lower campus option.

While the line can get long, it goes fast with multiple people working at the checkouts.

There are a lot of options, from pasta to Mongolian to sandwiches and a lot more. There is also sushi at Sushi Do.

While there are a lot of different options, it can still get repetitive. They change from week to week, but the basis of each station stays the same.

A lot of people do appreciate the variety and the yaki bowl has become a staple in the UW-Eau Claire culture.

The environment in Davies is energetic; there is a lot going on. It is a very social place, and many enjoy the booths, where they can sit with all their friends.

Hilltop/Riverview Cafe:

Technically it is called Riverview Café, but from being a student here it is typically just called Hilltop.

This is the most convenient place for on-campus students to eat since it is right next to all the dorms.

Like Davies Marketplace there are a lot of options: Sandwiches, pizza, noodles, the grill, salad bar, etc.

While the main line and grill line change, it can get repetitive. This has been a common concern as well as the want for healthier options.

Seeing as they serve so many people in a short amount of time, the food quality is lacking a little bit.

Another issue that has arisen is food allergies, as there is a potential for cross-contamination. There are also not a ton of options for those who have dietary restrictions. 

It is appreciated that they have a station that rotates throughout the semester. First, it was a mac and cheese station, then it became bao and now it’s the big ole again.

There is also now a feedback stand so people are able to rate the food for the day and give open feedback.

The environment in Hilltop is unique. While there is a lot going on it is also pretty chill and relaxed.

For dinner, it is the end of the day and people aren’t really in a rush. It can be nice to just sit for an hour and catch up with friends after a long day of classes.

Having options, being able to give feedback and the environment are positives, but there are things that could still be improved.

The Cabin:

Honestly, I sometimes forget about our on-campus Starbucks. Having a coffee shop on campus where you can use dining dollars is very convenient for that midday energy crash.

You can get actual Starbucks drinks without ever leaving campus. Not only that, but they have live concerts some evenings.

It seems like it isn’t super common, but you are able to get a block meal here as well. It is a good place to stop before class. You can get a coffee and a muffin.

While we all have our favorite place to eat and memories of many of these places, good or bad, the UW-Eau Claire eating establishments have impacted all of us in different ways.

Geske can be reached at [email protected].