Student Senate: Davies may pay more to support green energy

Student Senate introduced a bill Monday that could increase Davies Center electric costs in exchange for green energy credits.

The Davies Center energy bill would increase by about $12,000 if Senate decides next week to re-sign a one-year contract with Xcel Energy’s Windsource program.

Xcel Energy’s Windsource program allows businesses to buy Renewable Energy Credits (RECs).  RECs are a charge on top of a base electric bill that goes to support renewable energy.

Xcel Energy built a wind farm in Grand Meadow, Minnesota in 2008 – the first of several wind farms in the state.  Grand Meadow windmills generate energy that goes into the local power grid.

Xcel sells RECs to businesses outside of counties that benefit from direct wind farm energy.  RECs are a way for businesses to support renewable energy without buying expensive machines like solar panels or windmills.

The Davies Center won’t be powered directly by green energy, but will support out of state renewable energy efforts with the REC charge which is tacked on to each electric bill.

Perry Kyser, an Eau Claire junior said although the extra energy charge isn’t huge, paying for RECs seems like a “cop-out.”

“I’d like to see the money invested in research and development rather than saying, ‘I’m green because I paid someone to say so,’ that doesn’t solve anything,” Kyser said.

Kyser said he would like to see money spent on long-term renewable energy efforts.

Bylaws

Senate introduced two bills that could change Senate bylaws Monday.

One bylaw bill aims to change Article 11 of Senate’s constitution to make a Mandatory Refundable Fee (MRF) referendum passed this year permanent.

Senate allows unconstitutional referenda to be called back with 22 yes votes.  MRF and constitutional referenda won’t be reversible if bylaw changes pass Monday.

Senate voted to part with United Council earlier this semester.  UC is funded on each campus through MRFs.  Senate is still waiting for the UW System to rule on whether or not its decision on UC exempts students from paying MRFs.

Student Body Vice President Patrick Martin said the purpose of the bill is to cut any MRF language out of Senate bylaws.

“Let’s do some clean up at the end of the year; we’ll define exactly what that means and move forward and not include MRF,” Martin said.  “It served its purpose and we’re going to clarify that for future Senate.”

Senate also introduced a bill that would give senators an opportunity to call public hearings on controversial bills.  Meetings must be held at reasonable times and locations, according to the bill.

The Organized Activities budget, Student Technology fee bills and the Differential Tuition budget, referenda or constitutional amendments would require a public hearing if the bill passes next week.

In other Senate news

Senate unanimously approved a constitution for the Innocent Men as well on Monday.  The Innocent Men, an offshoot of The Singing Statesmen, are now their own campus organization.

Senator Jarrel Montgomery said during open forum The Innocent Men will be allowed to perform on-campus at events such as the Viennese Ball or Earth Week.

Senate also passed a resolution congratulating the men’s hockey team on their national championship win during spring break.