Women’s basketball remains undefeated

Katrina Erskine

More stories from Katrina Erskine

Hoeppner excels during weekend’s games

Women’s basketball remains undefeated

Hallee Hoeppner was leading scorer in games against Ripon College and St. Scholastica.

Bill Hoeppner

Bill Hoeppner

Bill Hoeppner

UW-Eau Claire women’s basketball added a pair of wins to their record this weekend by beating Ripon College 68-46 and the College of St. Scholastica (Minn.) 88-69.

Hallee Hoeppner, a third-year student, played a total of 37 minutes in the game and scored 15 points to help the Blugolds. Following Hoeppner in points scored were Kelsey Bakken, a third-year student, and Elli Carver, a first-year student, with 13 points each.

In the first quarter, the Blugolds scored 20 points and Ripon scored seven points. Carver had eight of those points and Hoeppner contributed four points to the scoreboard.

During the second quarter, Ripon managed to get back on the scoreboard by scoring 12 points. The Blugolds answered and scored 13 points, making the score 32-20.

Alyassa Burgess, a third-year for the Red Hawks, scored 6 points in the third quarter, making her the top scorer of the game for Ripon. The Red Hawks scored 16 points during the third quarter. The Blugolds added another 13 points. The score ending the third was 45-36.

With the fourth quarter in full swing, the Blugolds weren’t shy about making their mark on the Red Hawks. Eau Claire scored 23 points, while Ripon scored 10. The final score was 68-46, adding another win to the Blugold’s record books.

The next day the Blugolds faced a new team, the College of St. Scholastica.

St. Scholastica was winning in the first quarter by one point. The leading scorer for the first was Hoeppner, with 10 points for the Blugolds. The final score in the first was 22-23 with the Blugolds losing.

In the second quarter, the Blugolds came back by scoring 25 points. Hoeppner had seven points to help the Blugolds gain a lead. Then St. Scholastica scored 18 points, making the score 47-41, with the Blugolds up.

“When we get going in our offense everyone’s really good at making extra passes, so I was able to get a few looks that way,” Hoeppner said. “Once we get going I know everyone can score, and it’s really easy to feed off of each other’s energy.”

The third quarter was another high-scoring 10 minutes. The Blugolds put 22 points on the board, while St. Scholastica put 10 points on. At the end of the third quarter, the score was 69-51.

Brooke Harris, a third-year, scored four points to help the Blugolds win in the final quarter of the game.  St. Scholastica scored 18 points and Eau Claire scored 19. The final score of the game was 88-69.

“Halle had tough shots today, and that’s exciting to see,” Head Coach Tonja Englund told WEAU News. “It’s been fun to see her kind of step into that role and kind of take over.”

Erskine can be reached at [email protected].

Katrina Erskine, Staff Writer

Katrina Erskine attended NDSU her first year and now attends UWEC. Katrina's major is English Education. She enjoys being active and having a good burrito.