Blugolds successful against UW-Oshkosh

More stories from Katrina Erskine

Blugolds win four games this season, the first time since 2012

Scott+Procter%2C+a+fourth-year+quarterback%2C+carries+the+ball+as+the+Blugolds+fly+in+for+another+win+this+season.+

Blugolds successful against UW-Oshkosh

Scott Procter, a fourth-year quarterback, carries the ball as the Blugolds fly in for another win this season.

Photo by Gabbie Henn

Photo by Gabbie Henn

Photo by Gabbie Henn

The Eau Claire Blugolds hosted UW-Oshkosh on Nov. 3, which resulted in a win for the Blugolds. This is the first win for the team against the Titans since 2010, who appeared in the NCAA semifinals last year.

UW-Oshkosh scored a touchdown in the first quarter with a good kick, making the score 7-0. Seconds later, the Blugolds responded with a 58-yard run by Brycen Froehlich, a second-year wide receiver, with a successful kick that tied the score up.

The second quarter remained scoreless for both teams.  Going into halftime, Head Coach Dan Larson had a few notes for Scott Procter, a fourth-year quarterback.

“He’s got to throw the ball more confidently,” Larson said. “He’s just got to keep playing confidently, we wanted to get the ball in their at the end; we just missed out.”

With the third quarter in full swing, the Blugolds made another touchdown and a good kick. The Blugolds were up 14-7 when the Titans decided to make a second half showing on the scoreboard.

Titan Joe Franks had a 25-yard run followed by a good kick. The Blugolds couldn’t get a touchdown, but Brad Goetsch, a second-year kicker, made a field goal making the score 17-14.

The fourth quarter was almost scoreless until the 2:23 mark. Goetsch made another successful field goal, putting the team up 20-14.

“Obviously we knew we needed to play physical upfront,” Procter said. “It all starts with those guys up front.”

The goal concluded the game and delivered the Blugolds their first victory over UW-Oshkosh since 2010.

At 2:30 p.m. next Saturday, the Blugolds will host UW-LaCrosse. It will be the last game of the team’s regular season.

Erskine can be reached at [email protected].

About the Photographer
Gabbie Henn, Staff Photographer

Gabbie Henn is a photography student and is a staff photographer on The Spectator. She enjoys thrifting, cooking yummy food, and loves going to concerts.