Turning a corner for the better

Recent confidence surges coming in a timely manner for Blugold gymnastics

Photo by Submitted

Story by Meghan Hosely, Online Editor

After two weekends of work from her team, head gymnastics coach Jean DeLisle said the women are turning the corner to a new level of gymnastics.

DeLisle said her squad has been throwing harder tricks into their routines, which has led them to not only their first conference win against Hamline University (Minn.) this past weekend, but a record-breaking team score against Centenary College (LA) on Jan. 6.

Against Centenary, the Blugolds racked up 187.850 points, with the previous team record being 186.650. Despite breaking a new record, the Blugolds came away with a loss, but DeLisle said the team had their best meet of the season.

“(Centenary) is a tough team,” DeLisle said. “They have some talented gymnasts and we were within two points of them.”

Against Hamline, the Blugolds won the meet 181.450 to 180.625. Three out of the four events were claimed by a Blugold gymnast. Freshman Tori Erickson, and sophomores Lauren Zurowski and Jessica Dhaene swept the uneven bars, placing first, second and third, respectively.

DeLisle said both the meets at Centenary and Hamline have led the team to become stronger than they were two weeks ago.

“I definitely knew they could do it,” she said. “I’m really pleased it happened at this point because they can throw the harder tricks in a few meets before the regional championship.”

DeLisle said confidence in the gym always poses a challenge.

“It’s so much easier to look at those things that went wrong than to look at everything that went right,” DeLisle said.

Junior Liz Stubbs said the team acts like one big family at meets. Despite falls during routines, the junior said everyone’s still proud of each other.

The Blugolds next compete at 6:30 pm Friday night at McPhee Physical Education Center. The gymnasts host Gustavus (Minn.) for the second time this year.

Their prior meeting was in early January, at the UW-Eau Claire Invitational. Eau Claire hosted the Gusties and UW-La Crosse. The Eagles took first place, with the Blugolds coming in second.

Even with a win against Gustavus, Stubbs said letting that get to her and her teammates could lead to everything falling apart.

“I think we’re definitely confident going into this meet,” she said. “But we can’t let that get to our heads.”