Hanging up the Yellowjackets

Andersen earned WIAC athlete of the week following sweep of UW-Superior

Photo by File Photo

Story by Austin Mai, Op/Ed Editor

Three goals and three assists.

Senior forward Ross Andersen recorded the above statistics over the weekend against rival UW-Superior while No. 12 UW-Eau Claire continued its climb conference supremacy.

“We played solid games,” Andersen said. “It was a good, fun trip for the team. Definitely helped add to the comradery.“

On the first night of the two-day series against the Yellowjackets, the Blugolds led 3-2 after Andersen scored with four minutes left at the end of the second period. After Superior struck back and tied the game two minutes into the third period, Sophomore forward Patrick Moore took the assist from Andersen and took the lead nine minutes later.

Sophomore forward Adam Knochenmus scored a power-play goal three minutes later to secure the 5-3 victory. Knochenmus was assisted by Andersen and Moore.

The Blugolds outshot the Yellowjackets 36-21 and limited Superior to only five shots in the third period.

The second game began with Eau Claire losing the lead, going down 2-0 in the first 90 seconds. The captain-to-captain connection of senior defenseman Jack Callahan to Andersen got the Blugolds on the board.

Eau Claire took over the second period and scored three goals in six minutes. After a Yellowjacket goal, Andersen scored the cherry on top in the third period to win 5-3 and sweep Superior.

“We’ve came back from similar deficits this season,” Andersen said. “We know we can’t put ourselves in positions like that against teams like UW-Stevens Point this weekend. These games could make us or break us.”

Now 14-5-2 overall and 6-2 in the conference, the Blugolds will host the clash of conference record leaders this weekend when they will play No. 3 UW-Stevens Point at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Hobbs Ice Center.