Filed under Sports

A hot and cold week

Women’s soccer player scores hat trick Saturday, but Blugolds drop home game Wednesday

A hot and cold week

Just when it needed an offensive spark, the UW-Eau Claire women’s soccer team got one, and it came in the form of a striker from Eugene, Ore.

Tara Dennehy notched three goals in a 4-1 victory Saturday against visiting Gustavus-Adolphus (Minn.) at Bollinger Field.

But it wasn’t just Dennehy who shined in the contest.

The Blugolds notched 20 shots in the 90-minute contest, which was a season-high.

Dennehy scored in the 22nd, 24th and 62nd minute while sophomore Fallon Peplinski knocked home the Blugolds’ final goal in the 78th minute of competition.

Lizzi Hanke, Lauren Lenz, Megan Hanson and Sami Matuszak all recorded assists for Eau Claire.

Freshman goalie Sammie Lafaive stopped nine Gusties’ shots.

Wednesday, that offense all went away as Wartburg College (Iowa) shut out the host Blugolds, 2-0.

Although Eau Claire tied the Knights in shots at 11, the Blugolds had four more fouls and three less corner kicks to fall just short.

Larson and Dennehy both had three shots on goal.

After Wednesday, the Blugolds fall to 2-3-1 on the year. They go on a four-game road trip starting Sunday afternoon at Concordia-Moorhead (Minn.). They’ll return home Oct. 4 against reigning WIAC champion UW-Whitewater.