Set for nationals

After a fourth place finish at home, women’s golf team will go to national tournament next week

ENGLER

ENGLER

Spectator Staff

The UW-Eau Claire women’s golf team finished its season at home last weekend. They placed fourth out of 11 teams at the Blugold Spring Invitational at Wild Ridge Golf Course in Eau Claire.

Freshman Katie Moore said having her family there to support her helped lead to her top finish of the season.

Moore finished in 13th place with 167 strokes. She was the second individual finisher for the Blugolds behind teammate Kate Engler. Engler tied  for fifth overall, in the 70-golfer field, with 163 strokes.

“(Moore) is a good player,” Engler said. “She fights for it.”

Despite finishing in the top five, Engler said she wasn’t very pleased with her personal performance.

“I just felt really off on everything,” Engler said. “I wasn’t able to control shots like I usually do.”

Engler said all the golfers seemed to have a tough time, which made up for her performance. She said the lack of practice due to rain contributed to her performance not being as good as she wanted.

Also, junior Emily Stone finished in the top 15 for the Blugolds, tying for 14th with 169 strokes.

Since the Blugolds have finished their regular season, the team has shifted its attention to the national tournament, Engler said. It will take place May 13-16 in Howey-in-the-Hills, Florida.

The tournament will be both a team and individual competition, consisting of 72 holes over the four days. For team play, the lowest four scores from each day will count toward the total score.

The team qualified for the tournament when they won the WIAC Championship last fall.

Since the tournament occurs during finals week, the golfers have been preparing to take their exams early or after they return, Engler said.

Moore said she has been spending most nights in the library to stay ahead in school while also focusing on golf and still having a social life.

Moore said she wants to do everything she can to help her team do well in Florida.

“Since it’s my first year playing golf, I just want to play strong, stay focused and not beat myself up if I have a bad hole,” Moore said.

Engler said she also wants to help the team do well. She also hopes to meet her goal of finishing in the top 20, she said.

Engler said she heard the course is hilly and may be kind of tricky, but she just wants to do her best and place well.

—  The Spectator Staff