Men’s hockey swept by UW-Stevens Point

Blugolds fall to third in WIAC after losses

Story by Austin Mai, Staff Writer

The UW-Eau Claire men’s hockey team lost Friday night at UW-Stevens Point by a score of 6-1

The Pointers racked up points quickly in the first period as they scored three goals in the first four minutes of play.

Stevens Point scored again at 8:53 to go up 4-0 in the first period.

As the second period began, the Pointers added yet another goal at 8:24.

The Blugolds struggled with shooting all night, including a missed second period power play opportunity.

It took until the third period when Eau Claire found it’s way to the goal as sophomore defenseman Charles Thauwald scored on a power play.

That was all the scoring the Blugolds would do that night as the Pointers scored one more time to eventually win 6-1.

Saturday

Coming off a 6-1 loss to UW-Stevens Point the night before, the UW-Eau Claire men’s hockey team lost yet again to the same team, falling 2-1 in overtime.

The Pointers struck first as they scored at 9:15 in the first period to lead Eau Claire 1-0 for around 25 minutes.

After the score, both teams were shooting but neither could find the net until senior forward Daniel Olszewski scored on a power play for the Blugolds to tie up the game 1-1.

Eau Claire remained in the Pointers’ zone for the remainder of the period, outshooting Stevens Point 16-6.

The third period would begin and end without another score as the Pointers outshot Eau Claire 7-4.

The game went to overtime tied at 1-1 and ended with the Pointers taking just one shot straight to the back of the net as Stevens Point junior forward Garrett Ladd shot the game winner unassisted.

Eau Claire lost the tiebreaker and now drops to third place in the WIAC behind UW-Stevens Point and UW-River Falls with an overall record of 16-6-1 and conference record of 5-4-1.

The Blugolds will host UW-Stout at 7 p.m. Thursday night at Hobbs Ice Center.